[SOLVED] Why is my wifi so slow all of a sudden?

Jaco147

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
I have an interesting problem that I just can't seem to figure out. We have wifi at home for the whole family and I also have my own wifi router that works via a sim card.

I've been using my own router for games since it's way faster and I'm the only one connected when I'm using it, but I also use the main wifi to do the updates since it's uncapped. Now both have been working 100% and still is working fine. Family can watch Netflix in the living room and wifi speeds seem to be normal as it always was, but from sometime earlier this week my pc doesn't seem to be getting the same speed as everyone else via our home wifi? Everyone's devices gets the speed it should including my own phone, but not my pc?

My own wifi is still as fast as it should be and I didn't mess around with any network related settings recently.

What could possibly be the cause for this? Nothing, literally nothing has changed. The routers are in the same spot. My pc is in the same spot. Everyone's getting the speed, but me. And to be clear the wifi does pick up full bars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You can also try and uninstall and reinstall your wireless adapter's drivers and see if that changes your experience. You could also see if your routers have any firmware updates pending.

As s controlled measure, see if plugging the PC to the Ethernet port on your router changes your experience.

Lutfij

Titan
Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You can also try and uninstall and reinstall your wireless adapter's drivers and see if that changes your experience. You could also see if your routers have any firmware updates pending.

As s controlled measure, see if plugging the PC to the Ethernet port on your router changes your experience.

Solution

Jaco147

Prominent
Oct 18, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I figured out this morning that by unplugging my usb wifi adaptor and plugging it into a different usb port seemed to work. Hopefully it'll keep on working like it should.

I did see some other posts from years ago with people having the same problem and would definitely like a clear explanation of why this could happen by itself? It's definitely not the port because once it was working I plugged it back into the original port it it still worked. And I did uninstall the drivers and reinstall them as well earlier this week when I became aware of the problem and it wouldn't work. That's why I didn't bother plugging the adapter out. Did me plugging the adapter out reset it somehow with that specific wifi signal I was having trouble with? And if so, why didn't the uninstall/reinstall of the driver work?

No need to answer but it would be nice to have a clear explanation.

Anyway, thank you for replying.