ComputerWontBoot

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
My WiFi is usually very fast on my computer, usually 80-100 Mbps. Occasionally it will drop heavily or cut out altogether, but that's to be expected and usually I'll just reset my router and it'll be fine. A few days ago the speed dipped again, but the usual solutions aren't working. I have reset my router, my computer, updated my drivers. I did a network reset on Windows 10. Nothing's working. The speed is about half of what it should be -- around 40 Mbps. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but it also drops to 1 Mbps or flat-out disconnects very frequently. I've been playing an online game recently, and now it's borderline unplayable because of these issues. Sometimes I can get into a game. Sometimes I can't, and often there is severe server lag when I do. This problem is only happening with my computer. My family's internet, and the internet on my phone is working fine. Here are some specs and properties:

I'm using a "Feb Smart FS-N600 Basic Edition PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter" on an x370 mobo.
I am not using a VPN.

Here are the properties of my WiFi, according to Windows:
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Sec. type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 48
Link speed (rec./trans.): 300/300 Mbps
Description: Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Because it is negotiating a 300/300 encoding rate the card thinks it is getting a strong signal. A lot of times the problem is that the case is blocking the antenna when you use internal cards. It might still be I guess you could turn the computer different directions to see if it helps.

Does not reboot the computer fix it. Why are you reset the router or are other devices also being affected.

What you might also try it to switch to 2.4g. Mostly this is to see if it is more stable even though it might not get the same maximum speed as the 5g radio does but it might since you are still using the older 802.11n. Depending how good it works at 2.4g that may be your solution but it could be that there is a failure in the part...
Nov 3, 2021
Have you noticed any significant difference in your connection quality depending on the distance from your Router/WAP? With you being connected to a 5GHz band, that particular signal is weaker at a distance and doesn't do as well with travelling through walls etc. However, this may not be the case since your family's devices work fine; is there any way you can check on your phone to see what frequency it's connected to your Wifi on?

ComputerWontBoot

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Have you noticed any significant difference in your connection quality depending on the distance from your Router/WAP? With you being connected to a 5GHz band, that particular signal is weaker at a distance and doesn't do as well with travelling through walls etc. However, this may not be the case since your family's devices work fine; is there any way you can check on your phone to see what frequency it's connected to your Wifi on?

Thanks for the response. My phone is also connected on 5GHz. It works about twice as fast in the same area as my computer,

Because it is negotiating a 300/300 encoding rate the card thinks it is getting a strong signal. A lot of times the problem is that the case is blocking the antenna when you use internal cards. It might still be I guess you could turn the computer different directions to see if it helps.

Does not reboot the computer fix it. Why are you reset the router or are other devices also being affected.

What you might also try it to switch to 2.4g. Mostly this is to see if it is more stable even though it might not get the same maximum speed as the 5g radio does but it might since you are still using the older 802.11n. Depending how good it works at 2.4g that may be your solution but it could be that there is a failure in the part of the board that does 5g radio transmissions.

There is not much software wise you can do. You did the standard update the drivers but there are almost no settings that will make any difference. The board could just be bad.

Solution