Question Why is my windows always restarting when it boots up.

Nov 25, 2022
I got a new motherboard its a Asrock Z87 Extreme4, I got this so I can run Two AMD radeon HD 6900 series in Crossfire.. with 1000psu. and i am going to be running a outdated i7-4790s cpu. With 32gb of ram,, i am running Win7x64,, when I install the new Motherboard it boots up when it gets to the Windows loading screen it will restart or say Fail to boot.. Can anyone help me with this thank you..

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model PSU? 1000 watts noted. Efficiency? Age? Condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

My thought is that there is a problem between the now unsupported Windows 7 and the drivers for the HD 6900s.

Will just one GPU work by itself without a restart or failure to boot?

When the system does boot, check Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that occur with either the restart or the failure to boot.

Try booting into Safe Mode. Does that work without a restart or boot failure?

USAFRet

Titan
I got a new motherboard its a Asrock Z87 Extreme4, I got this so I can run Two AMD radeon HD 6900 series in Crossfire.. with 1000psu. and i am going to be running a outdated i7-4790s cpu. With 32gb of ram,, i am running Win7x64,, when I install the new Motherboard it boots up when it gets to the Windows loading screen it will restart or say Fail to boot.. Can anyone help me with this thank you..
With this new motherboard, did you do a full wipe and reinstall of your OS?

Nov 25, 2022
Make and model PSU? 1000 watts noted. Efficiency? Age? Condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining?

My thought is that there is a problem between the now unsupported Windows 7 and the drivers for the HD 6900s.

Will just one GPU work by itself without a restart or failure to boot?

When the system does boot, check Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that occur with either the restart or the failure to boot.

Try booting into Safe Mode. Does that work without a restart or boot failure?
the make and model of my psu is a Rosewill CMG1000 Modular power supply 80 plus gold.. I also did it with one GPU,,well it kept on trying to find a solution online,, or wanted me to do a system restore.... also my harddrive is set to RMB,, not UEFI..

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022
Well, that is almost certainly the problem.

A Windows install is not modular, to be moved around to different systems.
When presented with a new motherboard, and existing Win 7 install is likely to fail.
ok,, but i took this OS from a OLD build to my current build of a Asrock H97 anniversary,, i didn't have no problem with that..

USAFRet

Titan
ok,, but i took this OS from a OLD build to my current build of a Asrock H97 anniversary,, i didn't have no problem with that..
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks months.
With this system, you are squarely at #2.
With the previous change, you may have been at #3 but did not realize it.

In any case...this current thing is not working. What you are seeing is classic signs of an old OS not working with different hardware.

Nov 25, 2022
3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It works, but you're chasing issues for weeks months.
With this system, you are squarely at #2.
With the previous change, you may have been at #3 but did not realize it.

In any case...this current thing is not working. What you are seeing is classic signs of an old OS not working with different hardware.
ok but how can i install a new OS system,, with no CD,, but i only have the CD key

USAFRet

Titan
ok but how can i install a new OS system,, with no CD,, but i only have the CD key
From some other working system (or a friends) you'll have to create a new USB to install with.

I recommend moving to Win 10, instead of staying with the deprecated Win 7.
You can use your existing Win 7 license key, for free.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes I would look into this.. would upgrading cost me anything.. also.. could I make the USB I to a boot drive. Where it only boots from my usb.
Assuming you have a valid Win 7 license, it would only cost you the price of an 8GB flash drive.

You use the USB to install to your internal HDD or SSD.
This WILL wipe out everything on the resultant drive.

Read through that link.

Nov 25, 2022
Yes, you could use that.

Whatever is on it WILL be wiped out, and the drive reformatted to FAT32.
Giving a 32GB partition and total size.

If you wish to return it back to the original 128GB, you'll have to do a /clean operation in commandline function diskpart.
I will work on this tonight when I get off work..