Question Why is my Y splitter causing an error ?

cleverlynamedperson

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
Basically i got a new cpu cooler which was the noctua NHD15. Install went well no real problems. I booted it up and i got an error for the cpu fan saying something along the lines of "no cpu fan detected please check". After some more testing i found that the Y splitter which allows both fans to convert into one socket was the problem. Each fan in the socket alone work perfectly fine but with the splitter i get this error. When i use the splitter i can controll the mode of the fans e.g AUTO,DC,PWM but the actual rpm and such does not show up. Could really use some help.

cleverlynamedperson

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
Have you contacted and requested a new splitter ?
It sounds like the one you have is faulty.
Also are you 100% sure you had it connected to the CPU_Fan header and not the CPU_Opt or AIO header (it shouldn't matter but it might) ?

Hi ty for the reply. Iv realised that my motherboard has CPU_FAN 1 and PUMP_FAN 1. Im guessing that pump also operates as a CPU_OPT ? I always thought it was a special socket for aio only. The splitter is definitely the cause of the problem and im a bit of a freak when it comes to knowing rpm and such. So this PUMP_FAN likely operates as a cpu_opt ?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
The PUMP_Fan header should be for an AIO pump.
What MB do you have ?
Most newer MB's have a CPU_Fan, CPU_Opt and AIO (or PUMP_Fan) headers.
CPU__Opt is supposed to be for a 2nd cooler fan so you don't have to use a splitter.
But the PUMP_Fan header should work for the 2nd fan until you get a new splitter.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Stuff above is right. Just to focus on the two essential points: The two fans on the CPU cooler REAQLLY should be plugged into the CPU_FAN header because it is THAT header that puts special attention to its fan's speed to help protect the CPU. If you've done that and the header reports that it is NOT receiving a fan speed signal when you use the Splitter, then that Splitter is faulty and should be replaced.

Reactions: DMAN999