Question Why is Nvidias Newest Drivers Tanking my gaming performance ?

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
Hi, when i install the latest nvidia 522.25 or 526.47, my games, basically "halo infinite" performance tanks and fps drops to 30's 40's, when i had it locked at 60fps with the 517.48 driver no problems. One other thing i've noticed with the new drivers is, the GPU now pegs at 100% for the whole time the game runs, i've used ddu etc, default settings etc nothing works like it did, and now GPU is pegged at 100% from launch of the game?? Any ideas, i done everything, install etc, like normal as usual.

Ryzen 3100
GTX 970 MSi gaming
16gb rams 2x8
AB350 fatality itx
samsung evo 970 250gb
1tb wd black.
fractal d case

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
im not a complete noob i done everything

If you would've done everything, you would've reverted back to 517.48 and fix your issue.

Btw, i'm running 512.15 with my GTX 1660 Ti and i see no reason as of why to go with latest GPU drivers. Or in other words: If it ain't broke - don't fix it.
Though, latest drivers may have issues with the build, and if so, best to revert back to last stable/good version and wait until new version comes out, skipping the "bad" version.

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
If you would've done everything, you would've reverted back to 517.48 and fix your issue.

Btw, i'm running 512.15 with my GTX 1660 Ti and i see no reason as of why to go with latest GPU drivers. Or in other words: If it ain't broke - don't fix it.
Though, latest drivers may have issues with the build, and if so, best to revert back to last stable/good version and wait until new version comes out, skipping the "bad" version.

ok bro, i reverted back a while ago obviously, but I just tried the newest 526.47 version today and the exact same thing happened with the 522.25 version, so i was asking for a professional opinion so to speak, as this does not usually happen when you update drivers, in fact it's the first time i've ever installed a new driver that has halved my frame rate.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It is really difficult to say what is going on, and why your performance has tanked.

You could contact Nvidia and ask them, since after all, they made the drivers and can tell what differences are between "good" and "bad" driver versions.

Software wise, clean Win install would remove any conflicting software issues, if there are any. Hardware wise, GPU upgrade would boost performance.

-----

Some time ago, when Spectre and Meltdown made their way around and affecting Intel CPUs, the fix/patch what Intel put out, just to combat those vulnerabilities, reduced the CPU performance up to 35%, depending on a workload.
Article: https://wccftech.com/intel-mitigations-spectre-v2-exploit-35-percent-drop-in-cpu-performance/

So, it isn't unheard of, that fix/patch/update reduces hardware performance. This is already true with CPUs and it being true with GPUs, isn't that far fetched either.