Question Why is OneDrive backing up data

Feb 17, 2021
Today (computer is 8 days old) I suddenly noticed green check marks appear on my icons. They disappeared after 2 minutes or so. A quick Dogpile search revealed the check marks indicates Microsoft has backed files up to Onedrive.

I uninstalled OneDrive the first day I turned the computer on. Yet, a search for "OneDrive" in Explorer reveals dozens of occurrences. A quick check of "Control Panel-->Uninstall a Program" shows OneDrive is not there.

How is my computer backing up data to data to OneDrive if it was uninstalled AND how can I stop this activity?

Update: I now see the check marks in the center of the icon alternating to a small white square with two people in the lower left corner and then back to a check mar,.

This may be some feature that is set up by retailer, so try to go there and ask them. I'd also recommend you look at the advertisement for the computer, it probably contain some information on what this is and why.

My guess it is a background service (run services.msc to see all - only look don't touch anything in there) that takes care of the backup routine.

Feb 17, 2021
Purchased from Amazon. I checked the services running. Exported the list to a txt file and searched. Nothing with One Drive or OneDrive in the name.

No backups running. I do not have a OneDrive account. Verified that by trying to login with the only 2 emails account I use. Refused each one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS