Question why is pc freezing after using it for a while?

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
So, the problem with my PC is that it enters a semi-frozen state just after i hear the fans revving up(even though i didn't put any load) and then eventually gets completely frozen. By semi-frozen i mean i can still move windows, refresh webpage, open explorer and such but i am not able to take readings from the task manager or any other monitoring software. Every status in the task manager is frozen.
This problem has never occurred when playing heavy/light games. It usually occurs after i use the PC for a while(7-8 hours but not consistent) and this is when i am using the browser to watch video or other internet surfing activities.
This has been randomly occurring(thrice a week / once a week and nowadays almost regularly) and whenever it occurs i know beforehand due the loud sound of fans spinning and the data in the monitoring software stops. I can kind of move things around but can't do things lilke play video, open websites or launch application. And after a while it gets completely frozen and I have to force restart the PC to use it again.
I've looked everywhere in the internet but nobody has had the exact problem as me so it would be great if I could figure something out from here.
Pc specs:
cpu: ryzen 5 5600g
gpu: evga rtx 3080
ram: gskill ripjaws v 2x8gb 4000mhz
motherboard: b550m ds3h ac
psu: corsair rm850x
ssd: samsung 970 evo 500gb, crucial 1 tb nvme, crucial 500gb sata
hdd: 2tb seagate + 500gb
5 pc case fans, hyper 212 v2 cooler
pc case: deepcool mattrexx 40 mATX

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

all it does is stops non microsoft programs loading at start, easily reversed

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Does it happen in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

try running this on Samsung ssd - https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

I don't know if the Crucial app has any tests or if it just shows health as reported by drives - https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive
try running seatools for windows on the 2tb drive, what make is the 500?

Last edited:

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
thank you for your suggestion. I tried checking the drives and everthing shows fine and healthy. as for safe mode i will check it and see if i find anything