Question Why is pc glitching when i change xmp profile in bios?

kifljeuhed

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
So, i got new ram and wanted to put it to work on 3600mhz in bios, because by default it would use only 1000. It says 32 gb but usable 16. I change settings in bios xmp profile and save. After restart pc wont boot, it starts and after 10 seconds it literally restarts, its going like that for few minutes and then it starts normally. Again with 16 gb usable and 1000+mhz. I was maybe thinking it is psu problem but im not sure. Motherboard is b350 tomahawk plus

So, i got new ram and wanted to put it to work on 3600mhz in bios, because by default it would use only 1000. It says 32 gb but usable 16. I change settings in bios xmp profile and save. After restart pc wont boot, it starts and after 10 seconds it literally restarts, its going like that for few minutes and then it starts normally. Again with 16 gb usable and 1000+mhz. I was maybe thinking it is psu problem but im not sure. Motherboard is b350 tomahawk plus
and full system specs, CPU especially.

3600 memory is only reliable on 3000 and 5000 Ryzen CPU's and with 2 DIMM's only, in 2nd and 4th sockets.

Did you add this "new" ram to your existing ram, or did you replace your existing ram with the new ram? what is the make and model of all your ram.

kifljeuhed

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
reset CMOS by pulling battery and shorting pins for a few minutes.

the delay is probably the CPU trying and failing multiple times to train memory at current settings.
i'm
and full system specs, CPU especially.

3600 memory is only reliable on 3000 and 5000 Ryzen CPU's and with 2 DIMM's only, in 2nd and 4th sockets.
ryzen 5 1800x
1080 gigabyte
750w
lpx vengeance 16x2 3600mhz (waiting for new cpu, ryzen 3700x)

ram is placed in 2nd and 4th slot

ryzen 5 1800x
... (waiting for new cpu, ryzen 3700x)
1st gen were a challenge to get to 3200, often as not peaking at about 2933. 3600 is an heroic challenge even with Samsung B-die without a terrible lot of tweaking if successful at all. Only an extremely rare CPU could operate with an 1800Mhz IF and it's not de-syncable in 1st gen. Just give up and save yourself the time and effort while waiting on the 3700X. Hopefully resetting CMOS got your system back.

Assuming it's on the latest BIOS, once you put the 3700X in the system reset CMOS again before doing anything else to force the new CPU to retrain for new memory initialization parameters. Test the system out in full-default settings first. Only once you know it's working should you enable XMP for 3600. Also, set the DIMM voltage manually to whatever it says in the memory package...usually 1.35V. Test it out again, then start overclocking the CPU...PBO only.

Last edited: