Question Why is screen showing "no signal" ?

omar80747326

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
I've a 12-year-old Compaq Presario, slow but does the job, it views "no signal" suddenly in normal operation, since it runs on 1gb ram and a pentium E2200, so I think it's may be attributed to overheating, could you please tell me other causes of this and solutions if possible?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
12 years of use on a system that was obsolete when you bought it isn't bad. I would consider any money spent on attempting to restore that PC to use wasted.

Blow dust out, check connections and cable, if that doesn't work what budget can you work with and where are you shopping?

omar80747326

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Man, this happened at a wrong time while doing important stuff on it, I'd be happy with a $700 system as an upgrade just to throw away this piece of junk for instance, but I need to get it as cheap as possible from another region as taxes and customs on electronics are awfully high in my country!

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Man, this happened at a wrong time while doing important stuff on it, I'd be happy with a $700 system as an upgrade just to throw away this piece of junk for instance, but I need to get it as cheap as possible from another region as taxes and customs on electronics are awfully high in my country!

Even if such things as old office type computers from Dell or HP are available, something like a $100 4th gen i5 would put this system to shame. At the point in age you are at, even if this was a Core 2 Duo I would suggest the same thing, and the system you are talking about is that age on the reverse (bottom) end of the spectrum. Don't throw good money at that.
Do you have any sort of used electronics shop or a Goodwill type thing where you are? A buddy of mine found a nice i7 2600 office box there for ~$20.