[SOLVED] Why is so much of my RAM being used without much open?

Apr 2, 2020
Recently my RAM hasn't been normal and it's been making it impossible to do anything on my computer with multiple tabs open. My RAM is 8gb ddr4 2400mhz. My RAM has never done this before and the tasks in my task manager don't add up to 8gb, i also took at look at if it was actually being used and not on standby, this is what i saw https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTUyMV8xMjk3NTQwMQ .

Solution
Thanks for the info here are the screenshots https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTgxM18xMjk3NjQ0Nw is Commit and https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTgxNV8xMjk3NjQ0OQ is WorkingSet also i noticed that when i open taskmanager the cpu is up to 100% for a split second but then it goes back to normal, is this a problem or just a visual bug?
The CPU spike going into Task Manager is normal behavior.

When looking at your committed RAM, you have almost 2GB committed to audiodg, MsMpEng, TwitchUI, SearchUI, brave, and dwm. Throw in that normal amount that Windows will use on boot for an 8GB system of 3-4GB, and that doesn't leave much for anything else. You can try running a virus scan from Safe Mode, but I don't...
Recently my RAM hasn't been normal and it's been making it impossible to do anything on my computer with multiple tabs open. My RAM is 8gb ddr4 2400mhz. My RAM has never done this before and the tasks in my task manager don't add up to 8gb, i also took at look at if it was actually being used and not on standby, this is what i saw https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTUyMV8xMjk3NTQwMQ .
My guess is that you have a Virus somewhere that isn't showing up on RAM usage in PerfMon. Can you upload a different picture with your RAM being sorted by Working Set and Commit?

Thanks for the info here are the screenshots https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTgxM18xMjk3NjQ0Nw is Commit and https://ManHansSan.tinytake.com/tt/NDE4MTgxNV8xMjk3NjQ0OQ is WorkingSet also i noticed that when i open taskmanager the cpu is up to 100% for a split second but then it goes back to normal, is this a problem or just a visual bug?
The CPU spike going into Task Manager is normal behavior.

When looking at your committed RAM, you have almost 2GB committed to audiodg, MsMpEng, TwitchUI, SearchUI, brave, and dwm. Throw in that normal amount that Windows will use on boot for an 8GB system of 3-4GB, and that doesn't leave much for anything else. You can try running a virus scan from Safe Mode, but I don't think that is the issue anymore. I just think that with your usage you have hit the limits of 8GB RAM. For a lot of these programs that are running, they don't need to start when Windows starts. Go into Task Manager under Startup and have it only boot to the minimally required things. For example I doubt that you need TwitchUI to start on boot. After disabling all the things that aren't required to boot, reboot the computer and see what your RAM usage is on a fresh boot.

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
Thanks, I assume it was twitch since i was using it before checking the RAM usage, i removed all my startup programs a while ago, but after restarting it is only at 24%

Thanks, I assume it was twitch since i was using it before checking the RAM usage, i removed all my startup programs a while ago, but after restarting it is only at 24%
2GB on a fresh boot isn't bad. Just remember that you really only have 4GB to work with until your computer will start page swapping. In my experience a computer with 8GB RAM will begin page swapping at 75% RAM usage. At that point the computer will start to feel like it is stalling out as it is writing data between the RAM & SSD. I would recommend looking at upping your RAM to 16GB if you intend to keep using TwitchUI.

Windows keeps unused code in ram in anticipation of possible instant reuse.
That is a good thing.
Look at your task manager hard page fault statistics.
A hard page fault happens when an app needs some code and it has been moved to the page file.
That is an expensive proposition to get resolved.
If you see any hard page fault rate over zero, get more ram.

What is this brave.exe that I see? I think it is a browser that has a high active working set.
Chrome is similar.
Try firefox which has a lower impact.

Apr 2, 2020
2GB on a fresh boot isn't bad. Just remember that you really only have 4GB to work with until your computer will start page swapping. In my experience a computer with 8GB RAM will begin page swapping at 75% RAM usage. At that point the computer will start to feel like it is stalling out as it is writing data between the RAM & SSD. I would recommend looking at upping your RAM to 16GB if you intend to keep using TwitchUI.
I know and am planning to upgrade to 16GB, the only problem with that is it will be quite pricey, since i can't find any page that can sell me the RAM stick i already have, so i will have to buy two new separate 8GB sticks.

Your motherboard supports RAM at 2666MHz, at this point I would just replace the current 8GB. It isn't that much worse to go 2x8GB DDR4-2666MHz vs 2x4GB DDR4-2400MHz.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€46.48 @ Alternate)
Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€78.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €125.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:20 CEST+0200

If you download CPUz you can get the timings of your current RAM and try to match the timings with a different brand. No guarantee it will work, but could save 30 Euro. On my desktop I have RAM from 2 different manufacturers with the same timings and it works. At the office I got RAM from 3 different manufacturers to work together in 1 system.

Apr 2, 2020
Your motherboard supports RAM at 2666MHz, at this point I would just replace the current 8GB. It isn't that much worse to go 2x8GB DDR4-2666MHz vs 2x4GB DDR4-2400MHz.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€46.48 @ Alternate)
Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€78.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €125.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:20 CEST+0200

If you download CPUz you can get the timings of your current RAM and try to match the timings with a different brand. No guarantee it will work, but could save 30 Euro. On my desktop I have RAM from 2 different manufacturers with the same timings and it works. At the office I got RAM from 3 different manufacturers to work together in 1 system.
Ok thanks, I will decide what to do down the line.