[SOLVED] Why is Task Manager showing only 1 core on my dual core processor ?

Solution
It's all semantics. AMD got kind of "creative" when they threw together the bulldozer microarchitecture. These things are kind of a weird hybrid crapshoot, but essentially you have 1 "module" that is addressed as 2 threads. This "module" has 2 cores for the purpose of integer calculations, so if both threads are doing ints each thread has a dedicated core to do so with. However, each module only has a single floating point unit, causing it perform like a single core, 2 thread SMT processor when both threads are running floats.

Some say 1 module = 1 core since these modules aren't true dual core items due to the shared FPU. Others will say 1 module = 2 cores since each module has 2 integer cores. Technically speaking, neither is...

Dragon534

Prominent
Sep 2, 2021
Try updating your cpu drivers, do you know if your system has turned 1 core off? Check your bios and make sure all cores are enabled
i did go to the bios and turned downcoring to auto other option was single core. And how do you update cpu drivers ?? also I'm not sure if 1 core is off

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
It's all semantics. AMD got kind of "creative" when they threw together the bulldozer microarchitecture. These things are kind of a weird hybrid crapshoot, but essentially you have 1 "module" that is addressed as 2 threads. This "module" has 2 cores for the purpose of integer calculations, so if both threads are doing ints each thread has a dedicated core to do so with. However, each module only has a single floating point unit, causing it perform like a single core, 2 thread SMT processor when both threads are running floats.

Some say 1 module = 1 core since these modules aren't true dual core items due to the shared FPU. Others will say 1 module = 2 cores since each module has 2 integer cores. Technically speaking, neither is incorrect. Either way, 1 module = 2 threads, which is clustered multithreading (CMT) rather than SMT which is used to assign 2 threads to a single core.
Bonus Reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Solution