[SOLVED] Why is the 0.1% so low?

Shamba

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Okay so in my previous thread I talked about "Does RAM reduce stutters in games?" And the general reaction I got was "probably" due to myself having a Ryzen. Before you continue to read I must stress this. This issue is exclusive with Overwatch. Other games in which stutter occur is normally due to Vram limitations or because the game i'm trying to play exceeds 8GBs of RAM. Causing an unplayable experience. Graphical settings have no impact on this problem. I simply get a higher framerate but the issue still persists. Game is using about 1.4-1.9gb of Vram. And only about 6gb of RAM.

Ok, so when playing Overwatch, the first few games are buttery smooth. No stutter to be seen. But after a few games, the performance takes a colossal hit. For some reason the game starts to stutter quite a lot. It's not unplayable but it's not exactly enjoyable. A solution I found was to simply restart the game. After doing that the game is perfectly fine again. Below are some benchmarks in Overwatch. The length is about 7 minutes.

In the first two, the game ran fantastic. Buttery smooth with no stutter to speak of. But in the 3rd and 4th, the game took a huge hit. This ONLY happens with Overwatch. I haven't noticed this issue in any other games. Just Overwatch. I also remember seeing a thread in which people were complaining about the same issue so is this hardware related or just an Overwatch issue? My system specs are below and I will be upgrading my RAM today or tomorrow and will be posting the results here just to compare. Any help is much appreciated!

GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 2133MHz
PSU: Corsair CXM550W
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K
Storage: Not sure about the brand, but it's just x2 1 TB Hardrives

This was the 1st game:
Average framerate : 157.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 120.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 195.6 FPS
1% low framerate : 97.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 77.9 FPS

This was the 2nd game:
Average framerate : 156.1 FPS
Minimum framerate : 114.7 FPS
Maximum framerate : 214.4 FPS
1% low framerate : 99.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 80.3 FPS

This was the 3rd game:
Average framerate : 155.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 105.9 FPS
Maximum framerate : 192.3 FPS
1% low framerate : 82.1 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 16.5 FPS

This was the 4th game:
Average framerate : 147.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 115.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 189.2 FPS
1% low framerate : 87.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 14.2 FPS

Solution
Okay so in my previous thread I talked about "Does RAM reduce stutters in games?" And the general reaction I got was "probably" due to myself having a Ryzen. Before you continue to read I must stress this. This issue is exclusive with Overwatch. Other games in which stutter occur is normally due to Vram limitations or because the game i'm trying to play exceeds 8GBs of RAM. Causing an unplayable experience. Graphical settings have no impact on this problem. I simply get a higher framerate but the issue still persists. Game is using about 1.4-1.9gb of Vram. And only about 6gb of RAM.

Ok, so when playing Overwatch, the first few games are buttery smooth. No stutter to be seen. But after a few games, the performance takes a colossal...

Ok, so when playing Overwatch, the first few games are buttery smooth. No stutter to be seen. But after a few games, the performance takes a colossal hit. For some reason the game starts to stutter quite a lot. It's not unplayable but it's not exactly enjoyable. A solution I found was to simply restart the game. After doing that the game is perfectly fine again. Below are some benchmarks in Overwatch. The length is about 7 minutes.

In the first two, the game ran fantastic. Buttery smooth with no stutter to speak of. But in the 3rd and 4th, the game took a huge hit. This ONLY happens with Overwatch. I haven't noticed this issue in any other games. Just Overwatch. I also remember seeing a thread in which people were complaining about the same issue so is this hardware related or just an Overwatch issue? My system specs are below and I will be upgrading my RAM today or tomorrow and will be posting the results here just to compare. Any help is much appreciated!

GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 2133MHz
PSU: Corsair CXM550W
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K
Storage: Not sure about the brand, but it's just x2 1 TB Hardrives

This was the 1st game:
Average framerate : 157.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 120.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 195.6 FPS
1% low framerate : 97.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 77.9 FPS

This was the 2nd game:
Average framerate : 156.1 FPS
Minimum framerate : 114.7 FPS
Maximum framerate : 214.4 FPS
1% low framerate : 99.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 80.3 FPS

This was the 3rd game:
Average framerate : 155.4 FPS
Minimum framerate : 105.9 FPS
Maximum framerate : 192.3 FPS
1% low framerate : 82.1 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 16.5 FPS

This was the 4th game:
Average framerate : 147.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 115.1 FPS
Maximum framerate : 189.2 FPS
1% low framerate : 87.0 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 14.2 FPS
Leave Task Manager open on memory tab and Alt-tab to it to see memory usage, game may not be releasing free memory properly, some games are just like that. When there's not enough free RAM OS goes to disk to get more ram from page file which is much slower than physical RAM.

Solution

Shamba

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
I'm monitoring RAM usage with RTSS but u say I should look via Task Manager? Could it be RAM being Cached after playing for a bit that might be causing it? I'm really curious if this issue will go once I get my new RAM. I'll make sure to update this when I do get the results but I'll try what you said.

Shamba

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Just an update. This issue was because of RAM. I have no idea why but since I upgraded to 16gb I haven't had any stutters. I can now play the game on max settings with no issues.

TRENDING THREADS