Question Why is the 4g speed faster on my iPhone 8 Plus than my 4g Huawei B310 router?

May 6, 2019
Hi everyone, new to the forum and looking for some advice!

I have a sim card inserted into my Huawei router and get only 5-6mb download speed.
However when I test the speed on my phone (iPhone 8) I get 25-30mb...

Both are on the same network, Vodafone.

I believe I read somewhere this is due to the tech difference. Something about a higher CAT?

I’m looking into the Netgear Nighthawk M1 due to that but I’m not sure I’m on the right track!

Appreciate any help

The terms 3g, 4g etc are used liberally. U gotta dive into the radio chips used in devices to figure out what they are really capable of, and if carrier 4g and mobile device 4g don't exactly match (frequencies, channels) then both are going to negotiate to their next LOWER connection speed both agree will connect.

May 6, 2019
Whoa you lost me there, Im not too technical my apologies.

Am I right in thinking the router is just an inferior spec compared to an iPhone? Therefore less 4g signal its picking up?

From what Ive read the Netgear, although expensive seems to get the best signal/speed.. i’m assuming that it is closer to the iPhone spec...

You just jumped into the big lies the cell providers tell. You have no chose but to become technical to be able to read all the fine print. ATT got lots of bad press for claiming 5g "evolution" They wanted to confuse people into thinking they actually had what is called 5g when what they actually were offering was a enhanced version of 4g.

This is why you have to learn all the terms like LTE and hspa etc. This is a very basic table but illustrate some of the complexity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_broadband

In addition vendors offer mixed combinations of these different data encoding. They will use different ones on different radio bands even off the same cell tower. So if your phone and your router do not support the same radio bands it maybe using different encodings.

It is actually a massively complex topic.