WHY IS THE AMD FX-60 SO DAMN SLOW?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Sigh... another troll thread.... why...

Please donate your SLOW FX60 NOW to those who have the even SLOWER A64s, and wait for the (phantom chip) Conroe, which i hear should be out is just six months... WOW... did I just say that Conroe is not AVAILABLE right now!!! hmmm.... but still do donate your FX60.... goes for all the FX60 owners who think their FX60 are SLOW!!!

LOL. I agree totally. Better yet sell it so you can save up for AMD's trump card! 8O
Remember how Intel hyped Prescott and all the buzz. What a dud meltdown that was.

Could there be more to the story than just the cpu? People have suggested that the ddr2 may make up 5%. One thing new from intel that makes up the differnce is the chip set. The chip set for xfire intel uses is atleast an equal to ati's newest chip set and intel test against an older xfire chip. I have a problem with this as should you. Less see the numbers with one GPU to test the CPU for games. Intel has always held the advantage in the other areas they test.

Augenblick

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I have a question to make.

If Fear is not so dependent of cpu to do high fps, why would a cpu do a diference of 20%, when even a crosfire compared to a single x1900xtx don not do that? When in life we saw a processor do such a difference, in fps?

Second. Sometimes overclock do shit in pc, and I use to see lost of performance in super pi, when involves certain latencies. Why use a overclocked cpu, when intel don´t aprove overclock?

Third. We already saw problems with crosffire with x1900 related to amd cpus, why did´nt do with 7900´s, or 1800xt or even with onboard video, where we would see screaming differences in fps?

And last.

Why do not use opterons, where should really exist overclock?
Does Intel do not have money to buy them?

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
Amazing!

Never seen such kneejerk reactions to anything then we see in this day and age. Not to mention that both camps here refuse to budge in the "faith" of their favorite procs.

Money! That's what really matters. FX-60 is too much....Conroe will be too much! It really doesn't matter who is faster, all I care is that it drives the rest of the market down. If your into buying the fastest cpu/gpu/ram/etc on a regular basis you are their favorite customer, one who wastes their money on the "best" that they have to offer. Only to have it be "yesterday's technology" in a month.

I always laugh when someone tells me they jusy got the fastest *insert misc computer part here* for their PC and spent huge amounts of cash for it. Usually without any research whatsoever.

There is a decent number of people on these boards who have somewhat intelligent responses, but clearly "lean" to one camp or the other. Just because AMD has the fastest on the market means nothing to me. Just because Intel may have the fastest on the market in 4 months also means nothing. Having the fastest means you get to charge the most and bend your consumer base over a chair and give it to them dry, while the consumer happily takes it and says "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

I'll take the midrange stuff at rock bottom prices and OC it to my needs. The rest of my money can go to something far more important.....strippers :lol:

I think its got alot to do with xfire chip. Intel uses an old xfire for AMD's fx60 and their new one for conroe. This is not all things being equal. With that said do remember moores law. Tech doubles ever 18 months and the fx60 will be half that at conroes release so you do the percent increase intel will need just to stay even.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
i agree with kcmac, there might be some issues if you overclock a proc.

they say the reason intel overclocked the fx-60 is to simulate amd's future processors. but at least, they figure out first what is the best settings for the fx-60. then compare it to their conroe.. or just like kcmac says, benchmark the amd system twice: stock and OC setup.

i dont care whoever wins the benchmark, but at least figure out a way about how a system will perform to its peak level and to prevent bad speculations

Yes there will be some added latency if you have to OC a proc with the FSB...however, doesn't the FX-60 have unlocked multipliers? So you don't have to OC the FSB with an FX-60...just use a higher multiplier.

RD580 gives about a 26% increase over RD480 and that accouts for most of Conroe's gain over FX60. Given DDR2's 5% that makes a total of 31% so 2.66 Conroe wouldn't win against FX60. 6 months down the road I guess AMD will move to the 65nm and their FX's will go up around 3.6Ghz and may have 2 MB of cache. Not even the Conroe EE will be safe.

lol4fun

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
meh cant be arsed to read al this, bla bla bla bla, if you think its slow get 2 of em and put em in a dual cpu mobo if you think its still slow you need shooting

TRENDING THREADS