why is the i7 2700k more expensive than the ryzen 3

Nov 21, 2018
The i7 2700k cost $300 new on amazon and around $150 used on ebay. Were the ryzen 3 cost $100 and performs the same and beter. I would have thought the only reason to get an old i7 thats on a dead platform would be because its cheap. any alternatives i got i7 2600 i want more power.

Solution
It's expensive because anybody with a new one KNOWS that somebody out there has a perfectly functioning platform that ONLY needs that CPU to get their system working again, or will, that is unwilling to roll the dice on a used CPU and despite the unrealistic cost of that old Sandy bridge processor it STILL might be less expensive than having to do an entire platform upgrade with motherboard, processor and memory. Which is exactly what they'd have to do if they decided to just scrap their current platform and upgrade.

Or, the seller realizes that there are idiots out there that will pay for things with no sense at all of what a thing is worth, only that they need it. I see stuff on Newegg and Amazon from 3rd parties all the time listed...
It's expensive because anybody with a new one KNOWS that somebody out there has a perfectly functioning platform that ONLY needs that CPU to get their system working again, or will, that is unwilling to roll the dice on a used CPU and despite the unrealistic cost of that old Sandy bridge processor it STILL might be less expensive than having to do an entire platform upgrade with motherboard, processor and memory. Which is exactly what they'd have to do if they decided to just scrap their current platform and upgrade.

Or, the seller realizes that there are idiots out there that will pay for things with no sense at all of what a thing is worth, only that they need it. I see stuff on Newegg and Amazon from 3rd parties all the time listed at 3x the price you can get for through a different seller on the same site. Could be that even the seller is clueless as well and assumes that because a current gen i7 goes for over 300 dollars then theirs should as well.

Who knows. Honestly, that 2700k probably outperforms a brand new Ryzen 3 on anything that can use the 8 threads advantageously. And in fact it also has stronger single core performance than a brand new Ryzen 3 going strictly off Passmark scores.

Unfortunately, that Sandy processor is unlikely to support all of the instruction sets that newer CPUs do, so aside from synthetic benchmarks that score is probably not entirely accurate, to say the least.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/868vs3186

Solution
That's the other thing. Somebody with a 2500k that wants to upgrade but doesn't have 500 bucks or more for the latest platform can probably gain some moderate improvements by going from that i5 to that i7, for "only" 300 bucks AND if it's a new CPU as well, they feel good about it. Unfortunately the cost of the same gen motherboards is similar if you want a new one, so given the age of them it's improbable that it is a good investment at all since those boards are almost all beginning to fail in some way or another by now if they have been in use since the time that chipset was released.

Nov 21, 2018

i don't know for the price its going for new at-least it makes sense just to buy the latest ryzen 3(100) new mobo less than (100) and the ram get around 12 gigs for (100). And just keep your old HDD PSU and GPU. that just makes more sense.

For some people, who may wish to upgrade to a better Ryzen CPU later, yes, it makes sense. For others, it may not, if performance NOW and spending less NOW is more important. Fact is, the 2600k outperforms the Ryzen 3 CPUs. You'd need a Ryzen 5 1500x or higher to outperform the 2600k.

Even then, the single core performance of the 2600k is STILL better than that, or ANY Ryzen CPU. So any game or application that favors strong single core performance is going to perform better with a 2600k than with any Ryzen CPU. If it even marginally uses more than 8 threads OR if you are doing any heavy multitasking that might require or benefit from additional cores or threads, such as simultaneously running recording software, encoding, streaming, many browser tabs, etc., then the 2600k will start to fall behind.

Obviously though, there is no upgrade path from the 2600k so unless you are certain you are not going to need anything more than what you get as is from that CPU, it makes little sense to buy one, new or used. It's money better put towards something with a future in it.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Here is my 2600K benchmarks:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12434187
BTW this was a build I did back in 2011 that has been upgraded here and there over time, but kept the same CPU, RAM, and mobo.

And here is my R5 1600 benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12406130
BTW I got my R5 1600 for essentially $100

And here is my brother-in-laws build using the essentially the same build as my R5 1600, but with an R3 1300x and a GTX1060 that he got at the start of 2018. I told him to wait cause AMD was overpricing stuff, but he was impatient.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7689348

And they perform basically the same in games. All that multi core, while nice is basically just extra and ignored. So even at $100 for R5 1600, and you add in $100 for DDR4 and another $60 for mobo, that comes to $260. And when you do a platform switch you got another $100 Microsoft OS tax for the new OS license so that puts at $360 just to go side grade on a 2600K.

So that is why the 2600K and 2700K can still command what they demand. Took AMD dragging their feet for 18 months to get Ryzen priced anywhere close to competitive so people may be willing to pay to side grade, or get small upgrades.

Yep, that basically 100% supports what's been said here already, but it's nice to see it from a different angle as well.

I don't agree about the extra hudred bucks for the platform switch on the Microsoft OS though. That only applies if you have an OEM version of Windows, and usually, not even then. I don't know how many platform changes, motherboard swaps and hardware upgrades both upwards, sideways and in place that myself, USAFRet and others have done and never had any issues when reactivating afterwards so long as the account was attached to a Microsoft account OR had the original qualifying product key from the earlier windows version still if it had been upgraded for free.

I've only actually seen maybe two instances of it not working, and both of those were from threads here, members who I'm not sure actually had they installations activated previously, or if they did, had them attached to a Microsoft account.

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
You have the choice to buy whatever make of processor you want to, for whatever reason. You seem to have made a decision- it seems that you doubt your choice. Why do you think your decision is wrong? How would you feel if you bought the intel against your own opinion? You'd justify your original thoughts, you'd blame intel for your own decision rather than yourself - a new intel hater.
Trust yourself, buy what you want.