Question Why is the i9 7900x so much money right now?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i have a i9 7900x cpu and i was just looking up pricing for the hell of it and ive seen crazy high prices for it. Why is that? I saw on Amazon.com they wanted almost $1800. There must be a supply issue or something because when i originally got it like 2 years ago it was $900. Any info would be appreciated.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Im not familiar with that cpu, but I know certain ones are overpriced because many people when trying to update a Dell or HP pc they have limitations to the upgrade potential.
I ran into this issue with my Dell and wasnt going to pay $300 for an I7-6700.
The market sees demand and responds.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Old intel chips cost too much. Your better of getting a 10th gen on sale and new MB. You would think all chips would go down to cheap, but they never really get cheap enough to make it worth it.

For Xeons and server CPUs, it's a peculiar fact that the old chips go up in value at end of life. Only the very fastest, top-end chips though, the slower ones just drop off like any normal old piece of hardware.

But the server chips go up in value because tightwad infrastructure managers want to keep their rusty old made-in-2006 server going as long as possible, so they deck it out with the max RAM the board can handle, and the fastest CPU the board can handle. So as a result, the very top end model of most Xeons hold their value extremely well, and if you're lucky and the server board that CPU goes in is a very popular and relatively inexpensive one, they can go up in value significantly.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Old intel chips cost too much. Your better of getting a 10th gen on sale and new MB. You would think all chips would go down to cheap, but they never really get cheap enough to make it worth it.

i already own a i9 7900x i was just wondering why its so much money to buy one right now. im looking to upgrade to a i9 10850k but id like something like a Asus maximus xiii z590 extreme glacial but its $1800 and there really isnt anything like it. So unless something comparable comes out in the next 3 months i might end up just grabbing it.

You really don't need a $1800 motherboard...

Considering the 7900x is a 10850k but worse in every way that matters for most people, it should be significantly cheaper.

It looks to sell for $250 or so on ebay, and ebay is always inflated due to paypal and ebay taking a cut, plus shipping. Expect $200 or so.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
You really don't need a $1800 motherboard...

Considering the 7900x is a 10850k but worse in every way that matters for most people, it should be significantly cheaper.

It looks to sell for $250 or so on ebay, and ebay is always inflated due to paypal and ebay taking a cut, plus shipping. Expect $200 or so.

So most i can get for my cpu is $200?

Trust me id rather not spend $1800 on a motherboard especially considering motherboards have never gone for anything even close to that even with every option that existed. Now just because it looks really nice and has the latest technology including liquid cooling equipment built into the board. There is a nice screen that displays the diagnostic info and a bunch of nice looking shields.
what cpu would you suggest that would be a better choice then the i9 108050k from the 10th or 11th generations selections. Also is there a motherboard that supports 10th and 11th generation cpu's and is comparable to either Asus Maximus XIII Extreme or Asus Maximus XIII Z590 Extreme Glacial. If anyone can point me towards another motherboard that is a little cheaper but still has the some of the same options as those boards or atleast a close comparison.