[SOLVED] Why is the idle temperature of my gpu going up?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
When i first got the gpu the idle temperature was at 32c and then 33,34,35 and now the idle temperature of my gpu is at 36c. Why is it happening?

Btw this is a used gpu, when i first got it i immediately applied thermal paste and i also put the fan speed at 100% in msi afterburner. It has been 2 weeks using this gpu.

My guess Is because that i put my fans at 100% all the time, the fan is becoming faulty and spin less, i dont know if its a hardware issue or a software issue thats why im asking you guys.

My gpu: asus expedition gtx 1050 oc

Solution
it's normal, when the power option on windows or nvidia control panel set to Prefer Maximum performance, it will make the gpu clock up to the base speed, so no power saving/clock down when not in use.

My gpu is also 1050 from MSi (MSi GTX 1050 2G OC) and sometimes it idles below 40 degrees. well i changed the power option to Adaptive in nvidia control panel so it will clock down. I Bought this card used, and as soon as i receive it i tear them down, clean the whole pcb, wipe and clean all the dust and thermal paste leftover on both heatsink and the chip itself, and clean the fans, so it is all clean like new, and apply the paste (i use Arctic MX4), and the temperature is very fine on idle, could be as low as 27 if the AC is on. also...
it's normal, when the power option on windows or nvidia control panel set to Prefer Maximum performance, it will make the gpu clock up to the base speed, so no power saving/clock down when not in use.

My gpu is also 1050 from MSi (MSi GTX 1050 2G OC) and sometimes it idles below 40 degrees. well i changed the power option to Adaptive in nvidia control panel so it will clock down. I Bought this card used, and as soon as i receive it i tear them down, clean the whole pcb, wipe and clean all the dust and thermal paste leftover on both heatsink and the chip itself, and clean the fans, so it is all clean like new, and apply the paste (i use Arctic MX4), and the temperature is very fine on idle, could be as low as 27 if the AC is on. also my Case got good intakes (3 front fans + 1 rear).

Also what is your thermal paste?

My PC:
xl5a9nhgr7471.jpg

Solution

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021

My gpu is also 1050 from MSi (MSi GTX 1050 2G OC) and sometimes it idles below 40 degrees. well i changed the power option to Adaptive in nvidia control panel so it will clock down. I Bought this card used, and as soon as i receive it i tear them down, clean the whole pcb, wipe and clean all the dust and thermal paste leftover on both heatsink and the chip itself, and clean the fans, so it is all clean like new, and apply the paste (i use Arctic MX4), and the temperature is very fine on idle, could be as low as 27 if the AC is on. also my Case got good intakes (3 front fans + 1 rear).

Also what is your thermal paste?

My PC:
xl5a9nhgr7471.jpg
im using a dollar thermal paste(no brand)
it looks like this
YUA2SzpDXLSNHQ6-ZxslaY977BMakObI5cdYUPQ66PnIRXmzEqpOMq0Iz-FSFxdQ5CXpWMUGzAxpMNWfZSvEUxoTjQmHxmHu-YEFV0r_nkbQe2nLES36Opb6cSboqfVBifs

im using a dollar thermal paste(no brand)
it looks like this
YUA2SzpDXLSNHQ6-ZxslaY977BMakObI5cdYUPQ66PnIRXmzEqpOMq0Iz-FSFxdQ5CXpWMUGzAxpMNWfZSvEUxoTjQmHxmHu-YEFV0r_nkbQe2nLES36Opb6cSboqfVBifs
You should replace it with a better Paste like Arctic MX4 or GD900 for cheap options, or Kingpin KPX and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you want to spend a little bit more. Well i advise you to completely clean the Heatsink like new and left little to none residue of thermal paste and dust, also clean the fans. Also clean the gpu chip and left little to none residue of the paste around it.

No, that is a ridiculous advice for a non existing problem.
Giant Hunger think this is a problem with temperatures and I will address that now:

The CPU cores will per default by Windows system once in a while do some "under the blanket" performance optimization and this is in No way a problem.
For. ex. you have an antivirus s/w installed - when the system is in idle mode this will automatically scan the the drives in the background, regardless if one uses the inbuilt Microsoft Antivirus or a third party Antivirus s/w.
And it will periodically run its inbuild Defragmentaior, or if SSD an optimization of the memory cells.

Second: The Windows system will per automatically check for updates (and now this is not an option anymore in Pro version).

Third. The the last but not certainly not the least: every time one or more of the CPU core has to do something, no matter of how small task there is - its temperature will of course by the laws of nature increase, due to a higher power-draw from the wall outlet.
That is the reason for been seeing fluctuations in temperatures.

Now, while Your problem at hand is a non existent, I will advice You to check the CPU-temperatures and if possible Your graphics-card temperature as well - while gaming.
This is realy the most interesting part.

Sincerely, from Sweden
Ps. I am sorry for my poor English grammar and spelling.

Btw. Don't ever think a thick cooling paste will solve a temperature problem! Actually it will worsen this!
The reason is:
The only sole purpose of a cooling paste is to even out the microscopic uneven and un-leveled surfaces between the cpu and its cooler. NOT to create a layer of paste between the parts.

Metal to metal is of course the best cooling and if one put to much paste in between, well that is not an optimal way of how to do it.
Cooling paste by its nature has worse temperature transfer than a clean metal to metal.
That is the reason for my advice below:

Just a small, very thin layer of the cooling-paste over the surface - Not more.
That is enough to fill the gaps in the microstuctrure and every un-even surface.
So, how to do this: Just a small dot in the center of the CPU or preferably use a a credit-card and with same amount of small application, just smoother it out - remember it has to be thin, very thin almost unseen.

Otherwise the cooling paste will serve as a another poor heat spot.
- Also it will take approx 15 to 20 temperature cycles before the cooling paste gets to its optimal performance, meaning for ex. Arctic or similar it will then drop temperatures from 2-5C.
Temperature cycles in this regards meaning you run the system at full power and then shut i off, which will be made by natural usage, no need for excess.

Last edited:
No, that is a ridiculous advice for a non existing problem.
Giant Hunger think this is a problem with temperatures and I will address that now:

The CPU cores will per default by Windows system once in a while do some "under the blanket" performance optimization and this is in No way a problem.
For. ex. you have an antivirus s/w installed - when the system is in idle mode this will automatically scan the the drives in the background, regardless if one uses the inbuilt Microsoft Antivirus or a third party Antivirus s/w.

Second: The Windows system will per automatically check for updates (and now this is not an option anymore in pro version).

Third. The the last but not certainly not the least: every time one or more of the CPU core has to do something, no matter of how small task there - its temperature will of course by the laws of nature increase, due to a higher power-draw from the wall outlet.

Now, while Your problem at hand is a non existent, I will advice You to check the CPU-temperatures and if possible Your graphics-card temperature as well - while gaming.
Now this is realy the most interesting part.

Sincerely, from Sweden
Ps. I am sorry for my poor English grammar.
yea kinda, more to satisfactory level of lower temperature