DasHotShot

Honorable
Hi all,

Built a new PC yesterday for my pal with the following specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5600x (Noctua NH-D15S cooler)
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600mhz (PC28800) 2x8GB
  • Asus Strix x570-f mobo
  • Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD
  • Corsair RM750i PSU
  • currently using a 980ti till new gpu arrives
When we first posted to BIOS the PC froze solid, nothing moved on screen anymore (like the clock) and mouse keyboard were unresponsive. Thought nothing of it, rebooted and then installed windows. Had another crash during install, reset and then installed fully.

Once in windows the PC was fine for a bit until we started installing drivers for some of the components. It would freeze solid, not even BSOD just nothing would move anymore and neither mouse or keyboard would respond either.

We managed to succesfully update the BIOS to the latest version, didn't fix anything.

I tried running some benchmarks on Samsung magician and then we found that during every single benchmark we would freeze at some point. With different RAM speeds 2133-3600 came different points in the benchmark for the freeze (30%-80%).

We tried using individual RAM sticks, PC froze during benchmarks on both.

He has ordered a new dual channel kit which will arrive today, I'm hoping it's faulty RAM but maybe I've not considered something or missed something.
Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Here are some dump files: https://we.tl/t-jy850OI08A

Edit2: Windows not always booting now and getting BSOD often now instead of freeze.

Last edited:
Solution
ASUS states, "BIOS update might require for AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series CPU ". so double check you have the latest available and that other users aren't complaining about still having compatibility issues.

it's unlikely that both RAM sticks would be faulty.
try them both separately in each DIMM slot, it could a bad motherboard with a faulty DIMM(s).

make sure all cables are firmly seated on both ends, especially power cables(24 pin, CPU 8 pin, GPU 6\8 pin, etc).

make sure the M.2 is firmly seated.
we found that during every single benchmark we would freeze at some point.
try an application or OSD showing CPU\RAM\GPU usage, speeds, & temps while...
ASUS states, "BIOS update might require for AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 series CPU ". so double check you have the latest available and that other users aren't complaining about still having compatibility issues.

try them both separately in each DIMM slot, it could a bad motherboard with a faulty DIMM(s).

make sure all cables are firmly seated on both ends, especially power cables(24 pin, CPU 8 pin, GPU 6\8 pin, etc).

we found that during every single benchmark we would freeze at some point.
try an application or OSD showing CPU\RAM\GPU usage, speeds, & temps while benchmarking so you can watch what exactly may be leading up to the crashes.
It would freeze solid, not even BSOD just nothing would move anymore and neither mouse or keyboard would respond
a lot of times this points to the GPU having problems. with the screen image freezing and no BSoD or auto-restart, it can mean the GPU froze up.

Reactions: DasHotShot
Solution

DasHotShot

Honorable

try an application or OSD showing CPU\RAM\GPU usage, speeds, & temps while benchmarking so you can watch what exactly may be leading up to the crashes.
a lot of times this points to the GPU having problems. with the screen image freezing and no BSoD or auto-restart, it can mean the GPU froze up.

Interesting. I will reattach all the cables on both ends and potentiall reseat the CPU and cooler.

Will monitor what happens when we're benchmarking the SSD. Will also take my GPU and try that out to see if its the old GPU.

Worth mentioning that at the moment we're getting BSODs and windows is often not booting anymore....Surely it's the RAM, no?