[SOLVED] Why is the software i download show they were downloaded months ago

chaosaquarius

Honorable
Jul 9, 2018
I just got finished building a new PC after my previous one blue screened and i decided to update since i would have to reinstall windows anyway. I started the reconstruction of my data and links (Twitch launcher, Java, etc) but i noticed something strange about my downloads folder. For example i have Classic Shell. I installed it on 9/21/19 but in downloads it shows that it was last modified on 9/30/18, almost a whole year ago. This happens for several entries. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

Solution
No. Just as it is possible within Windows to have the OS request that the date-time stamp for files copied not be changed, is is possible to do the same for downloads.

Developers have both version numbers (which are the primary thing) and build release dates they rely upon when questions come up regarding software. You will sometimes be asked what the date-time stamp is on a given file to verify it's the right one.

Just try downloading it again, but either after moving the current copy or by choosing to save it to a different location, and see if you have the same date-time stamp on the one you just downloaded as the one you previously downloaded. If so, there's your answer.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, did you download it on 9/21/19? What's going to show in the Downloads folder is the date-time stamp when the file was created, and if you're using a drive where you downloaded this stuff at various times in the past then the date-time stamps of their actual creation is what shows.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
No. Just as it is possible within Windows to have the OS request that the date-time stamp for files copied not be changed, is is possible to do the same for downloads.

Developers have both version numbers (which are the primary thing) and build release dates they rely upon when questions come up regarding software. You will sometimes be asked what the date-time stamp is on a given file to verify it's the right one.

Just try downloading it again, but either after moving the current copy or by choosing to save it to a different location, and see if you have the same date-time stamp on the one you just downloaded as the one you previously downloaded. If so, there's your answer.

Solution