Question Why is the speed at which I can remotely work from home so drastically different on any given day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2019
I can remotely connect to my desk top that is located at my office. Some days it is fine....It doesn't even feel like I'm working remotely. Some days there is a little lag and others days I can't get anything done at all because it very slow and locks up often. My son does play PS4, however, this happens whether he is on his gaming system or not. I don't stream or download anything. I have packerland broadband 50 mbps. I thought about switching internet services or getting a new router. It sounds like neither is the issue. I'm left to wonder why am I paying for the most expense internet, only to get dial up slow speeds? Out of the 15 times I've tried to work remotely, 2 of them were productive. Is this a problem with something on my work desktop? Is this a normal and simply the way it is?

Thank you for your time!

Try speedtest both during the time it works and the times it does not. Try a number of different speedtest servers both in your city and if you can in the city you are remoting into for work.

What you are trying to see is if there is some bottleneck inside the ISP network or between ISP networks.

If you get poor speeds from all of them when you see issues then you have to try to hunt down the actual cause. The most common cause is wifi interference so use ethernet if you can. It could be some issue with over use of the internet in your neighborhood but generally the problem is the reverse people get poor performance when everyone get home form work and they all open up netflix or whatever.

Now it can be a poor vpn setup by your company or it can be a application problem. Running things like database queries directly against a remote file system tend to be affect greatly by the extra latency.

Do you know how it's deployed? some of the enterprise VDI can auto adjust or different profiles are made. So there might be more moving parts than you think.
bandwidth is mostly related to the resolution you stream. the most important factor is latency. depending on the product these are compressed and encrypted. This adds on to the latency of being remote and can be quite a bit. If it's a large organization they could be routing it around poorly or it's running off a server that's far away. Citrix can run well on really low bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.