Question Why is there internet latency when connecting my online stock trading platform in Russia to servers in America?

May 18, 2019
I just moved to Moscow a few days ago. So far so good, although ive run into a problem with the internet speed. I trade the stock market for a living and have been having problems with execution of trades on my platform (Think or Swim). I trade very quick so fast internet speeds are very important to me. It is strange however because when i run speed tests on the various internet services I have used, the download, upload, and ping rates are all fantastic, yet i'm still having issues with my platform and executing trades properly. I was wondering if anyone knew if Russia has some sort of filter or firewall with ip addresses outside of Russia and more specifically America. One last thing.... I have lived in Finland, Serbia, Poland, Hungary, and Colombia in the last 2 years and never had any issues with execution with slower download and upload speeds than what I have here in Moscow

Thanks for the assistance

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Speed tests will likely connect to whatever servers are closest to you. It's not surprising they'd have lower latency than servers on the other side of the world.

Unless you're doing automated, high frequency, algorithmic trading I'm a little skeptical that fractions of a second of extra latency are significantly affecting your trading performance.

Last edited: