Question Why is there not standarization with front panel headers to the motherboard

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
I've been building computers for a long time. One of the things that still amazes me, after all these years, is that case manufactures and motherboard manufactures haven't created a standard header for the case front panel wires. They are still are spit into individual reset switch, power switch, power LED, and HDD LED wires. The terminal pins for the case front panel connections on just about every motherboard I've seen for at least a decade are in the exact same layout. Rather than make us builders use our, now aging, fingers to gently and carefully align each wire connector to the pins, the manufactures should agree on a standard front panel header block.

What's the problem that is not allowing them to pull this off, since just about every other connection on the motherboard has been standardized?

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
A "standard", right up until something new gets added. Like all this recent RGB that's going on.
Cases are much more mutable than all the other connectors.
Fair, but as I said in my post, motherboards have not. If there are additional plugs for RGB and all this other "bling", make those separate cables and connectors.