[SOLVED] Why is there suddenly a network folder in file explorer?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just noticed there is a "Network" tab in the left column on my file explorer. Where did it come from? I swear it wasn't there a day ago. When I click it it says "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network and Sharing center."
When I select to delete it nothing happens.

Is this normal? I cannot recall ever seeing this and recently re-installed win10 after a trojan scare.

Solution
I just noticed there is a "Network" tab in the left column on my file explorer. Where did it come from? I swear it wasn't there a day ago. When I click it it says "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network and Sharing center."

Is this normal? I cannot recall ever seeing this and recently re-installed win10 after a trojan scare.
It’s normal. The purpose of the network section is to see network printers, see other devices, and share files over the network. Some people have dedicated file servers that can be accessed by mapping a network drive.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

It’s normal. The purpose of the network section is to see network printers, see other devices, and share files over the network. Some people have dedicated file servers that can be accessed by mapping a network drive.

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I did understand what it is used for which was why it seemed suspicious to me after the security scare I had. I've never seen it before on any reinstall I have done which have been numerous. I think it may be tied to my selection of public/private network when I set up Windows?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I did understand what it is used for which was why it seemed suspicious to me after the security scare I had. I've never seen it before on any reinstall I have done which have been numerous. I think it may be tied to my selection of public/private network when I set up Windows?
I’m not sure if that it. I’m pretty sure the option is in Control Panel in the Networks and Internet section. It’s something like “Enable Network Discovery” or “Allow this device to be discovered by other network devices.”