[SOLVED] Why is this build only geting 5% CPU while streaming?

Feb 25, 2019
I bought this computer premade (a mistake, I know) and am extremely happy with it. BUT, when I stream on it, it takes a dump. Here are the specs of it
-iBuyPower BB930
Intel Core i7-7700 Quad-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo)
NVIDIA GeForce GTZ 1060 3GB
16GB DDR4-2400MHz
1TB SATA III Hard Drive
120GB SATA Solid State Drive

When I stream to Twitch/YouTube, it's 1st person shooters with Facecam and Stream Overlay with nothing running in the background and my CPU counter is showing 5-10% left to use. Can I get some help on what part of this setup is biting me in the XXX? I've read online that it's advised to have the CPU at around 25-30% left to use. All apps are closed in the background as well.
- THANKS FOR THE HELP!

《 MODERATOR EDIT FOR PROFANITY 》- WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Seems to me like previous commenters misinterpreted OP's post: although the thread topic says "5% usage", the initial post clarifies 5-10% of CPU LEFT. which would imply 90+% CPU load. Not really surprising given the CPU-intensive nature of compressing video.

A GPU bottleneck is easy enough to solve: reduce graphics details a bit. Even a GTX1050 can achieve 60+FPS in most current games if you are willing to set details to low and drop resolution to 720p.

Jordan42

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Is your stream lagging? If you are not lagging there isn't a problem. When you are steaming and playing games you are going to have a high usage because you have a quad core cpu.

Feb 25, 2019
Is your stream lagging? If you are not lagging there isn't a problem. When you are steaming and playing games you are going to have a high usage because you have a quad core cpu.
It doesn't seem to be lagging since the stream "lags" when I start shooting, getting into fights, or move across large distances it drops frames. The audio doesn't glitch at all though; I've been getting warning messages from Streamlabs that I've been skipping almost half of the frames. Is there a problem with my setup that causes this?

Feb 25, 2019
It means that the slow part of your system is downloading the video, not the CPU processing it. It sounds like nothing is wrong with the CPU - at the slow rate that the video is coming in, it doesn't need to do much.
It means that the slow part of your system is downloading the video, not the CPU processing it. It sounds like nothing is wrong with the CPU - at the slow rate that the video is coming in, it doesn't need to do much.
Thanks for your help!
But, why is it acting this way then?

Centurion1479

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Your video card is quite bad for streaming, the 1060 3gb is pretty bad considering most titles with good graphics are using 5-8 gb of graphic memory depending on settings. I would recommend upgrading to something like a 1080 or 2060, or at the very least an rx 580 8 gb, which you can find pretty cheap, as well as not buying pre builts in the future. A lot of the time youre paying extra for nearly meaningless stuff like brand, huge shipping costs, and extreme cable management that half the time is detrimental to the system.

InvalidError

Titan
Seems to me like previous commenters misinterpreted OP's post: although the thread topic says "5% usage", the initial post clarifies 5-10% of CPU LEFT. which would imply 90+% CPU load. Not really surprising given the CPU-intensive nature of compressing video.

A GPU bottleneck is easy enough to solve: reduce graphics details a bit. Even a GTX1050 can achieve 60+FPS in most current games if you are willing to set details to low and drop resolution to 720p.

Solution