[SOLVED] Why is this image thing happening

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
For quite some time now more than 1+ year I've had this issue when watching videos when they typically load usually online and sometimes not where the image on the screen will look like I'm looking at a photo negative. Where the image is mostly very dark to black. Most times it clears up after about a minute or so. Other times I have to restart the application. Is this an issue with my video card or could it possibly some other issue.
I currently have another ongoing issue with my screen going dark at random times so I suspect a video card issue but not sure if other components can be at fault.

I've had my graphics card for about 4 years. It's a XFX R9 280. My whole system is about 7.5 years old. It's the same one in my signature.

The card I have now was actually one I got from RMA from XFX in 2016 which was cool. I just want to pin down for sure it's a failing graphics card because in the past when I've had these problems the symptoms have been much more obvious.

All my graphics drivers are up to date, cleaned out the system, and swapped out the HDMI cable but the issue still occurred. I don't really have another graphics card to test out or another monitor. Thanks.

Solution
Do this : Download a Linux ISO image (example: Linux Mint would do), burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB stick. Then boot the computer and use the DVD or USB stick as boot medium.
When the desktop is up, you go online and watch some video content and see if the problem is still around.

This will narrow down the possible cause for the problem. If you can watch videos when booted into Linux, then it's probably a Windows/driver related issue (and thereby probably no need to replace hw)
Do this : Download a Linux ISO image (example: Linux Mint would do), burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB stick. Then boot the computer and use the DVD or USB stick as boot medium.
When the desktop is up, you go online and watch some video content and see if the problem is still around.

This will narrow down the possible cause for the problem. If you can watch videos when booted into Linux, then it's probably a Windows/driver related issue (and thereby probably no need to replace hw)

Solution