[SOLVED] Why is this PC on bestbuy cheaper than newegg

Dec 2, 2019
Hi everyone, few weeks ago I bought a new build on newegg, works great:

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX Desktop Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER DirectX 12 RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E500BW
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4 SATA 6Gb/s M.2 USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI ATX
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1, 80+ GOLD, 750W Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode with New HDB Fan, Includes FREE Power

This cost me 1,192 (without tax).. adding tax is more.

Few days ago I find this link on best buy which has pretty much very similar specs, same graphics card, even more space than I bought:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...b-hdd-240gb-ssd-white/6362429.p?skuId=6362429

I honestly feel like buying on newegg is really just a way to control each piece that can go into your PC, but not necessarily cheaper option, and sometimes more expensive. I thought I would be saving, maybe a $100 or more due to the fact that I was buying parts instead of whole package.

Let me know your thoughts on this, maybe some have more experience with the business and know how best buy can afford it.

Solution
Building it yourself is NOT automatically cheaper.

How can BestBuy/CyberPower sell it for a little cheaper? They can buy parts in bulk, and leverage that with the manufacturer.
You don't have that leverage.
A part that costs you $100, they can get for $50 each, because they have an order for 500 of them per month, every month.

But you do have to look deeply into what parts are included.
In the BestBuy CyberPower:
2TB hard drive and 240GB solid state drive (SSD)
16GB system memory

In your parts list:
Samsung 970 EVO
16GB Corsair RAM

You're getting a much better SSD with the Samsung, and probably better/faster RAM.
And the power supply? What is in the CyberPower? Completely unknown.
And then you have the legendary crap quality...

USAFRet

Titan
Building it yourself is NOT automatically cheaper.

How can BestBuy/CyberPower sell it for a little cheaper? They can buy parts in bulk, and leverage that with the manufacturer.
You don't have that leverage.
A part that costs you $100, they can get for $50 each, because they have an order for 500 of them per month, every month.

But you do have to look deeply into what parts are included.
In the BestBuy CyberPower:
2TB hard drive and 240GB solid state drive (SSD)
16GB system memory

In your parts list:
Samsung 970 EVO
16GB Corsair RAM

You're getting a much better SSD with the Samsung, and probably better/faster RAM.
And the power supply? What is in the CyberPower? Completely unknown.
And then you have the legendary crap quality of CyberPower assembly.
With a system you build, you know how it went together, and you can take that extra hour to get the cable management just right.

Also, this is the middle of the holiday buying rush.
That BestBuy thing may even be sold at an actual loss, just to get you in the store and maybe buy something else as well.

Reactions: WildWoof
Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
your system is better. cyberpowerpc cut corners you did not, you have the superior SSD and a far far superior PSU. did they use a b450board instead of an x570? what speed is the CBPC Ram running?
rest easy, you got the bargain.

you buy parts for one system, they buy for 1000. you buy good parts, they buy the cheapest parts they can, slaves to the shareholders that they are.
I would take your system as is anyday over a CBPC.

Reactions: WildWoof

TRENDING THREADS