Question Why is this PC restarting? And why is the CPU core so hot?

Jul 30, 2020
I'm helping my friend to fix her PC and I think I've narrowed down the issue but I don't really understand it enough to help fix it completely.
So basically, her PC keeps restarting, like turning off and turning back on again straight away pretty fast. I looked at loads of different things that could be wrong, checked how much RAM, checked the hard drive wasnt too full (it only had 3GB left but she uninstalled some stuff and the problem remains), and then checked whether it was overheating. It didn't look like it was initially but then on hwmonitor, it said her CPU core temp was max 98 degrees celcius and her CPU package was max 49 degrees celcius. I dont understand why they'd be this different and also why the core would be so high. And when running a game (Smite), the CPU package went to max 71 degrees celcius and the CPU core went to max 120 degrees celcius.
What is more strange is that then, using hwinfo, the temperatures seem to be reversed, with the CPU core at max 61 degrees celcius and the CPU package at max 110 degrees celcius.
Could this be causing the restarting and can I fix it?
More info on the PC:
It is around 5 years old, she's recently added a new graphics card (GTx1060), it was her brother's PC and it was pre-built.
It has 16GB of RAM, AMD A8-6600K CPU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think your 2nd question answered your 1st question. It appears as though the CPU core temps are too high causing the system to shut down/reboot. I'd start by removing the cooler, cleaning the thermal paste off it and the CPU. Then applying new and reattaching the cooler. Then check fan RPM. The fan motor may be dying and not able to reach needed RPM. In that case, best to just get a new cooler.

Reactions: dorsai
Jul 30, 2020
I think your 2nd question answered your 1st question. It appears as though the CPU core temps are too high causing the system to shut down/reboot. I'd start by removing the cooler, cleaning the thermal paste off it and the CPU. Then applying new and reattaching the cooler. Then check fan RPM. The fan motor may be dying and not able to reach needed RPM. In that case, best to just get a new cooler.
Thank you so much for your help! I just checked the fan RPM and its 2300, and that seems normal from what i can gather? If its not the speed of the fan could anything else be wrong with it? I'm sorting out the thermal paste too, but that will take a few days to come.

Jul 30, 2020
It sounds like the cpu cooler needs to be removed, given a good cleaning, and fresh thermal paste applied. Might not be a bad idea to use a can of compressed air and a vacuum on the PSU also to clean it out.
That's the current plan! I'll see how it goes.

I really appreciate the help from everybody! I was feeling very frustrated xD

Jul 30, 2020
That's the current plan! I'll see how it goes.

I really appreciate the help from everybody! I was feeling very frustrated xD
Hey everyone, I'd really appreciate your help again! We cleaned the dust off and then changed the thermal paste and nothing has changed. The CPU core still reads at 100 degrees. I don't know what to do next, please help?