Why is tom'sHARDWARE so biased against AMD GPU's???

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Just wondering why tom'sHARDWARE articles and reviews are so biased against AMD GPU's??? Are they paid by Nvidia?? Some of the stuff they come up with in the articles are ridiculous and fanciful, even failing to switch the r9 290x to uber mode for the review and calling it a cherry picked card?? If i were AMD i would never send tom's another product to review after that incompetence mixed with insult.

I see just as many AMD cards here if not even more http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html and would look different if it was not for the price hike that miners created on the higher end cards. Tom's review on the 290X actually compared to all the others, so they actually did something about it like here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-thermal-paste-efficiency,3678-4.html and with the 290 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671.html
Lets see what happens when the review one of the new partner cards with better cooling solutions.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

It has got to the point that if i google say "290x vs 780ti" that i don't even bother reading anything from tom's .. unless i want a laugh lol. But some people may actually believe these articles thinking tom's is a unbiased 3rd party when they are clearly not.

No matter how many there might be they will always be outnumbered by the fanATic's and shills! :lol:

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Quick hypothetical mousemonkey, Should i get a 290x or 780 NON ti? Lol.

It's your money so buy what you want.

RealBeast

Titan
I really don't see the bias of which you speak. I'm agnostic and want the best card for the money. For a long time that has been NVIDIA, but of late the performance of ATI at a much better price point, with the third party cooling solutions is quite compelling. That said, I would just as soon have an NVIDIA if it was priced well, EVGA if possible -- I have good memories of many of their cards. :) So I guess I have some bias, although I currently have an ATI in my main machine.

I unselected that BA -- I would hope that posters would allow the OP to pick the BA unless there was a clearly correct answer, which there never is for these types of threads.

Doommonger

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I was thinking the same thing about an article that damned Imagination Technolgies' new GPU lineup with faint praise and poured doubt on its claims of performance gains, suggesting they might turn out to be highly exaggerated, which is something Tom's Hardware would never do to Nvidia in advance of testing.

In the case of the AMD R290X, the point about heat and noise was enough to put me off buying the card, for which I was grateful. Their advice not to buy it with reference design cooler may well be valid, and it's not always just about frame rates, but it must have cost AMD dearly. Meanwhile, Nvidea seem to receive nothing but gushing praise, despite the significant price premium for comparable performance. I don't think the articles are always as objective or empirical as they purport to be. Although they do represent among the best and most rigorous test reviews of new computer products on the internet today, the reporting needs to be as impartial as possible.

imran27

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Ya that's true, never saw Nvidia/Intel criticism on Toms. I've always considered Tom's Hardware as good for Intel & Nvidia benches & reviews, since that is what they come up fairly. Despite the fact that R9 290X beats GTX Titan in nearly all of the tested games (except maybe 2 or 3 that too with just 1-3 fps differences). Put them on 2k gaming with ultra details no AA, with AA, then again on 4k and there you'll see the clear winner is R9 290X (I'm talking about the reference R9 290X that has been tested extensively outside Tom's), despite the fact that GTX Titan has 6 GB VRAM & R9 290X has only 4 GB, so here win is purely based on the cards abilities, which are further enhanced by the 512-bit VRAM interface.
We also have TrueAudio & mantle, which by time is going to hurt Nvidia's sales and reputation a lot since you get best audio and best graphics with high frame rates and quality.

That's the kind of speculation that has people like me giggling our socks off! :lol:

imran27

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

900x900px-LL-7ed5cd20_AMD-A10-7850K-Performance.jpeg

That shows the upcoming A10-7850k. Besides cpu/mobo, everything else was the same in both systems, you can see the direct effect of HSA and mantle, the iGPU has is just a little bit better from the A10-6800k but the HSA+Mantle+hUMA has made it perform really well, I hope you know that HSA, Mantle, hUMA are for AMD processors/GFX only (and others in HSA alliance like TI, ARM, etc.). That's what AMD is heading for, instead of optimizing hardware to infinity they've started to optimize the workload that goes into their products.

I hope that makes clear to you how well HSA & Mantle work towards performance, a maximum of 45% performance gain is guaranteed, even in not so optimized implementation you'll see minimum of 15%-20% gains. That means the R9 270X that you have now would perform equivalent to what r9 290x is now when mantle and hsa are enabled

Sorry but that's just a PR slide, get back to me when you have actual results from independent tests.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I can't speak for Toms Hardware but truth be told the AMD GPU's are great but for all they do right they are tailed by their shotty Driver support and frequent release issues. People are riding on the fact that mantle will save them but I'm getting the feeling that based on AMD's past that Mantle won't be anymore than a headache and a let down for those who are really looking forward to it. I may be wrong maybe mantle will be the best thing ever when it comes to API's but, that's far down on the list of reasons why I am partial to Nvidia. When it comes to the forums this will be where you can get good info on AMD, there are lots of AMD advocates on this forum that will swear by AMD as well as Nvidia Advocates. This is all irrelevant if you do the research yourself and figure out what you feel is best for you.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
All the best gpu (and cpu's) for x amount of money articles on toms are full of AMD recommendations. Thats one of the reasons I have this 7870 for now.

I dont favor nvidia or amd, and always find toms to be pretty fair, and balance performance against cost well.

Avocade made a good point about driver support from amd, its really poor. Im sure that effects toms recommendations if it comes down to a 50-50 type situation.

StaticLNX

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

I agree with Monkey

pbug56

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I've never seen the bias but I would support some comments on the issues with ATI/AMD. I have a whole history of pain from ATI products;

1. A 2002 ATI All In Wonder (7500?) that was supposed to be great for converting video to digital. Sure - a 2 hour SVHS tape would take 24 hours to import if the PC didn't crash.
2. A series of ATI video cards that would have TDR errors in the driver and usually BSOD as a result. Different PCs over 10 years.
3. A fairly new Win 7 HP laptop with hybrid video - Intel and ATI, for which there have been no driver updates available from HP or ATI in well over 2 years since the combo was released.
4. Bugs which blocked users of these laptops from running IE 10 for months until MS coded around them.

My solution; if you can, use Nvidia.

11+ years ago?? Come on. Not even worth mentioning.
What are we going to talk about their EGA wonder cards from the 1980s next?
2. A series of ATI video cards that would have TDR errors in the driver and usually BSOD as a result. Different PCs over 10 years.
I have had plenty of BSoD, but of those only about 3 of those were related to AMD drivers over the last 10 months. One of which was my fault. On the other hand, some drivers tend to crash over and over and over again. Prolific drivers come to mind.
3. A fairly new Win 7 HP laptop with hybrid video - Intel and ATI, for which there have been no driver updates available from HP or ATI in well over 2 years since the combo was released.
Blame the laptop manufacturer for not making standard hardware that the AMD mobility drivers don't work with.
My solution; if you can, use Nvidia.[/quotemsg]
Your solution: Spread FUD

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

The Reason is TH go more in depth and publish what the AMD Fanboys dont want getting out. The fact is ATM Radeon cards have issues , such as micro stuttering , Time frame variance , driver issues and massive crossfire failure. AMD were a great company when they were aiming for Bang for Buck , I mean my last 2 GPU's were Radeons and they were fine cards if u didnt wanna overclock even my HD6970 with Gigabytes Windforce cooler wouldnt overclock past 50mhz without shutting down, when you consider my GTX 780 runs at 1245MHz and doesnt even touch 65 degrees C Under a Full Load stress test. The temps these new 290X cards run at tell me they are pushing their gpus to the limit to get this performance Hence the "UPTO 1000MHz core" with throttling, im sorry but that should be the minimum GPU Clock speed not upto. And from what ive seen even with aftermarket third party coolers these 290X's run at stock Nvidia temps. So ATM Nvidia may cost more but you are paying for a better product when all things considered. AMD need to get things right first before aiming High-End and they had better or Nvidia will have no competiton which is bad for every1.

TRENDING THREADS