Why is Windows 10 so awful, how do I set default programs efficiently

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Alright sorry the title is a bit off-topic but I'm also just checking if I'm the only one who still thinks WX is awful and complete trash. I know people hated WX when it first came out, but I'm pretty sure it's still nearly as awful -blam!- as it was before.

4f3dde721750c99650590d7bcb21f18c--windows--evolution.jpg

Alright so other than this -blam!- trashy OS, I'm not sure if Windows 10 is trying to screw me over when I try to set default programs. It seems like it's impossible to do this through control panel anymore. Awesome.

Is there any workaround for trying to set .txt's to notepad 3, etc? Are there efficient ways to do these settings because you can't even why do you get 3 options, all of them useless now when it comes to choosing default "apps" by file type, protocol or setting defaults by program?

I'm mostly just appalled that this process is so difficult. For instance if I want to set defaults by the app, are you serious- there is there NO search bar for the specific program I'm looking for, why does notepad 3 NOT show up in this programs list, (is M$ -blam!-ed trying to do this on purpose), and WHY can you not manually add applications to this list?

Are there any workarounds for this trash can, and can I still fix this trashy, confusing and nonfunctional metro scrap heap of a useless interface? Maybe there are those hidden registry entries I can change to fix issues? I dunno, anything helps!

USAFRet

Titan
Find a file of the desired file type
.txt in this instance
Right click on it
Select 'Open With', 'Choose another app'
Sroll down until you see "More apps"
If your desired application is NOT on the list that appears...
"Look for another app on this PC"
(It is helpful to know exactly where your desired application lives)

Here, I've selected Notepad++ for txt files
TvZUnUn.png

--------------------------------------

Is it a bit more work than it should be? Probably. But only has to be done once.
For most other file types, relevant applications would show up earlier in this process.

Barring the truly major software, this is more common than you'd think OP. Which is a pity, because adding such handlers is very simple.

Sometimes you just have to go searching for the .exe file and use that - at least for all of its 'trashiness' MS was clever enough to step in where the devs fell flat.

Also, Windows XP should show as a rusty dilapidated pile of rust. It's literally the worst - and I say this having used every OS from 95 onward pretty intensively. I had to go back not long ago and do some stuff on XP and it just made everything so much less workable. To put it in perspective, my goal:

Add a mapped server drive with stored credentials.

Win7: 8 minutes, from clicking around.
XP: 32, and extensive googling.

So, don't throw around WX is trash if you still have any respect for XP...

No, your image just seems to portray XP positively (a useful hammer with all bits intact) vs. Win10, Our advice was applicable to Win10, or as you label it, WinX.

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014

Well, I didn't make the picture, but anyway thank you I guess.

Here's the question: Wasn't this less complicated in Windows 7? Before they moved it out of programs and features, this worked better.

I recall the menu being very similar, but I'll agree it's a little jarring how some items are now scattered between the two control consoles. I would very much prefer to have them make a hard cut and just pick one or the other - personally, I prefer the old 32x control panel, I'm not fond of settings, but pick one.

Windows 7 never deleted System Restore points after installing updates. It didn't revert changes you made back to Microsoft's preferred default settings, also after updates went in.

There are other examples of MS's control freakery but I won't list them here.