Why is Windows 10 updating without informing me..

Jun 29, 2018
I was just about to pack up and leave work and I see Windows 10 telling me 'Your PC is at risk - Updating it now'. It doesn't give me an option to stop, and instructs me "it might take an hour" and to:

• keep pc plugged in

• keep it connected to network

• don't turn it off or close the lid

What the ..

Am I supposed to miss the other plans I've got and stay at work? I can't believe MS had the audacity to implement this process with no regard for the end user.

How can I permanently disable this from happening?

Solution
You can try changing your update settings to "metered". If your laptop is connected via WiFi, it should be set like this anyway.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-your-ethernet-connection-in-windows-10/

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan
"How can I permanently disable this from happening? "

permanently disable what...?
Updates? That is the fast track to a malware infection.

Is this a work PC? Talk to your IT dept.
Home PC? Let it run and come back later.

Don't suppose you have a screencap of this, do you?

Jun 29, 2018
I have a screen grab, reluctantly I had to put the laptop to sleep part way through installation. What happened to the good old days when we could install the updates when it was convenient?..

screenshot: https://ibb.co/g9sDxJ

g9sDxJ

It's a personal laptop that came with Windows 10. I'll probably have to install some 3rd party software to toggle between enabling/disabling updates,

USAFRet

Titan

So from that pic....leave the thing on and let it run its updates.
Go out and do your business.
It will be finished when you come home.

3rd party software to "prevent/postpone" Win 10 updates is a seriously bad idea.

"What happened to the good old days when we could install the updates when it was convenient?"

Too many people thought it was "never" convenient, and never did it.
Leading to massive virus infections and botnets.

Jun 29, 2018

I'm surprised by your inability to grasp why Windows 10 updating like this is a bad idea, but then again this is the internet.. also as I said I was at work at the time and it was time to go..

Jun 29, 2018

Thanks the Wifi was on non-metered (1) so I've set to metered (2) setting for now and will monitor the situation.

USAFRet

Titan

Updating at the wrong time is absolutely a pain in the butt. So make it not do that.

Not updating at all is a bad idea.

TRENDING THREADS