Why is Windows 7 working on multiple machine's simultaneously?

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I've been reading all over the internet that you shouldn't be able to install windows 7 on more than one system with the same key simultaneously.

Well I've literally done exactly this and don't understand how it's working... I built 2 different custom PCs years ago. I bought 1 copy of OEM windows 7 home premium and installed it with the same key on both computers. I had no issues doing this and they have been running simultaneously for years with no issues.

Can anybody explain how this is possible?

Additionally, I was able to install a single copy of MS office on several PCs.. How is that possible? It makes sense that I should've gotten some kind of error during installation/authentication saying that the key was already in use, but I never did in any of these cases.

Anybody else experience this or have an explanation??

thisguy365

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Its not that you cant, its that you shouldn't and aren't allowed to. MS activation servers dont verify that you have it only installed on one PC but trust that you will maintain compliance with your licensing agreement. By installing Windows 7 on multiple PCs and activating without a seperate license for each install you are out of licensing compliance and "stealing" from MS

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Isn't the whole point of activation to verify that I am using a unique key? Why would they just trust people to use it once?

USAFRet

Titan

Eventually, the activation server farm will catch up. 1 or more of those will become unactivated.

I've done it before as well. I think it lasts for 3 mths (on the server) then it drops off / resets it.

Then you can install it on another pc and it will activate. Your key activation doesnt stay on the server forever. It does or it used to drop off after so long

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Like I said, I have been using these two systems for years (like 5+ years). I see what you're saying, but doesn't it seem rather strange that I was able to do this? Especially with both Windows 7 OS AND MS Office?? I don't see how I slipped through the cracks this many times. I didn't install the software very close together timewise. Maybe that's it?

Where did you get these keys from? A legitimate retailer, or some mystery key reseller for a suspiciously low price? If it were the latter, it could potentially be a volume license, sold to large organizations for bulk installation on numerous computers to be used within their company. Some of these keys get sold online, typically for much less than the cost of a typical OEM license. If Microsoft were to discover a company's volume keys were being resold this way, they could invalidate the keys, after which they would fail to verify as 'genuine'.

ashammay

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

I bought it from Fry's Electronics haha... Definitely a legitimate retailer.