Question Why is Windows not letting my headphones and microphone work in tandem? Only one will work at a time, the other will not register an input / output

Mar 19, 2021
Hello All,

I am using a

Device name NAR-PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Which is running

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎3/‎16/‎2021
OS build 19042.868
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Both of the devices are set to default in their respective categories (Default Mic, Default Headphones)
When trying to play audio when the desktop audio goes out (windows does not register) I am hit with this error message:

** An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again. **

and I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s plugged into an Objective 2 + ODAC (Amp / Dac) which plugs into my computer via USB.
I also have a Shure MV7 USB Microphone plugged into my computer, but my computer will not let both of these devices work in tandem.
Either I can get music / any media playing through my headphones and my microphone does not accept input, or vice versa. It is very annoying
considering I have gotten this to work in the past where I can hear desktop audio as well as my microphone registering my voice and windows detecting it.

As a side note, when I first boot up my PC, both the microphone and headphones do their jobs, (microphone is detected by windows in the Sounds tab, and
desktop audio plays through my headphones as it should). However, when I open Discord, one of the 2 stops becoming detected and just goes dark (Windows
still detects it, but it just does not register an input / output (microphone / headphone).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I think this is an odd issue, that not many people have.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS