Question Why Isn’t my pc showing any life when In the case ?

Dec 4, 2022
So I just got a new pc, my first one actually. Built It with friends who had already Installed a couple before. Everything went right but pc was showing no life. We tried the method of removing one component at a time and It never worked so lastly I took It out of the case, and It’s working with 0 problems. What could be the cause? I’ve worked on the problem for 2 days now and tried to Install the mobo In the case with only minimal hardware and I’ve done this 4 times several different ways (not using all screws, using all screws etc.) Also put psu In the case and outside the case but has no effect. I’m aware that It’s probably a short circuit from something but I’ve examined really well that the backplate Isn’t In contact with the mobo ever but It still won’t work In the case.. I’m losing my patience since I’ve used almost 12 hours combined trying to get It work. If you have any ideas what could be wrong I would greatly appreciate It.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you tried breadboarding the innards and seeing if they all work as they should? Also, considering this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, please include the full specs to your system, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: Pchelpneeded1
Dec 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Have you tried breadboarding the innards and seeing if they all work as they should? Also, considering this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, please include the full specs to your system, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Hey! Since english Isn’t my main language and It’s hard to get help In my own language, I’m asking for It from here. I just don’t understand this ”have you tried breadboarding the innards”? Can you explain In different words 😅 anyways my full pc specs are:
CPU: Intel i7-11700kf
Motherboard: Gigabyte z590 UD AC ultra durable
Ram: 2x 16bg kingston fury DDR4-3200
SSD: main samsung 980 ssd PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 1TB and kingston SSDnow A400 240GB
GPU: Gigabyte geforce rtx 3060 windforce OC - 12gb GDDR6 ram
PSU: Corsair RM750 750w
Chassis: Zalman Z3 Iceberg
Monitor: my ~15y old samsung tv just for testing

Hey! Since english Isn’t my main language and It’s hard to get help In my own language, I’m asking for It from here. I just don’t understand this ”have you tried breadboarding the innards”? Can you explain In different words 😅 anyways my full pc specs are:
CPU: Intel i7-11700kf
Motherboard: Gigabyte z590 UD AC ultra durable
Ram: 2x 16bg kingston fury DDR4-3200
SSD: main samsung 980 ssd PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 1TB and kingston SSDnow A400 240GB
GPU: Gigabyte geforce rtx 3060 windforce OC - 12gb GDDR6 ram
PSU: Corsair RM750 750w
Chassis: Zalman Z3 Iceberg
Monitor: my ~15y old samsung tv just for testing
"Breadboarding" means assembling outside of the case, Bread board was a piece of wood used to cut bread and other food on, also used to temporally assemble electronic parts on before somebody invented real also called "Proto board" https://www.adafruit.com/product/1609 but Breadboard word stuck.
When you said "lastly I took It out of the case, and It’s working with 0 problems " that's Breadbording.
By your description of what's going on it sure looks like a case of short somewhere, Check if spacers are all in and only right places, right under the mounting holes in the MB and no edges touching anything. Another common bad spot is plate that goes at back of the case ans rear terminals on the MB, some have little metal tabs that can get into USB or other port and make a short.
Ill fitting case can also make MB bend and PSU and other cables may be too stretched and make bad contacts.

Reactions: Pchelpneeded1
Dec 4, 2022
"Breadboarding" means assembling outside of the case, Bread board was a piece of wood used to cut bread and other food on, also used to temporally assemble electronic parts on before somebody invented real also called "Proto board" https://www.adafruit.com/product/1609 but Breadboard word stuck.
When you said "lastly I took It out of the case, and It’s working with 0 problems " that's Breadbording.
By your description of what's going on it sure looks like a case of short somewhere, Check if spacers are all in and only right places, right under the mounting holes in the MB and no edges touching anything. Another common bad spot is plate that goes at back of the case ans rear terminals on the MB, some have little metal tabs that can get into USB or other port and make a short.
Ill fitting case can also make MB bend and PSU and other cables may be too stretched and make bad contacts.

Thank you for the info! And yeah I’ve done ”breadboarding” as many times as I’ve assembled the pc In It’s case, just to make sure I haven’t broken anything. But yeah just probably need to continue trying to get It work. But let’s say that the mobo was touching the case on some place and I find It out but maybe Can’t move the mobo In a way It won’t touch the case, could I then try and use electrical tape for an example, In between the case and the mobo? Just In case this happens. Would It work as an Insulator in between the two to stop electricity from flowing? Thanks! I’ll keep updating again If I accomplish something the next time I have enough time to assemble the pc. At least I get a lot of experience and I already basicly know from memory how to put everything to place.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Electronics engineers like to build temporary circuit for testing purposes to iron out any bugs before making a printed circuit board to stuff the components into. It is called bread boarding. That's what I use to do.

Thank you for the info! And yeah I’ve done ”breadboarding” as many times as I’ve assembled the pc In It’s case, just to make sure I haven’t broken anything. But yeah just probably need to continue trying to get It work. But let’s say that the mobo was touching the case on some place and I find It out but maybe Can’t move the mobo In a way It won’t touch the case, could I then try and use electrical tape for an example, In between the case and the mobo? Just In case this happens. Would It work as an Insulator in between the two to stop electricity from flowing? Thanks! I’ll keep updating again If I accomplish something the next time I have enough time to assemble the pc. At least I get a lot of experience and I already basicly know from memory how to put everything to place.
Electrical tape is poor material for that as it can chaff thru or dry out and get unstuck, a piece of plastic would be better but would be much better to find the reason and eliminate it even at price of changing the case.

Dec 4, 2022
Electrical tape is poor material for that as it can chaff thru or dry out and get unstuck, a piece of plastic would be better but would be much better to find the reason and eliminate it even at price of changing the case.

I actually got the pc to boot today with everything Inside the case, ran completely normal. I was only missing a couple fans because I had tore down the entire case and tried to check everything. Anyways I put then fans In the case and It doesn’t show any life anymore, again. I didn’t change anything else than just put 2 fans In the case so I literally have no clue anymore what is causing all of this. I’m going to buy a new case tomorrow for testing purposes and try to get It work Inside the new case. Will keep updating more.

Reactions: CountMike