Why isn't my AIO pump working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2020
I recently just installed a new motherboard, a Asus B-550-f. When I plugged in my existing AIO pump, ( the Master Cooler ML240R) I plugged the pump header into a AIO pump header on the motherboard. The radiator fans are working fine, but upon closer inspection, my pump header is not working, and my temps are very high (70-80 C when under light loads) I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with my pump, or if I need to plug my header in somewhere else for the cooler to work.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Connect it to another connector. Is it a SATA power or fan? Mine connects to where a fan usually gets its power from.
I actually have a wall connector for the pump so that I can test water circulation with my pc off. leak test per se

Dec 19, 2020
That's what's strange. I'm plugged into another fan header right now, a CHA fan header, and still no result on my pump working. Should I just try another fan header?

Dec 19, 2020
Ok, I do wonder how this is supposed to help my situation. My AIO placement is fine, the issue is that my pump header isn't powering my AIO.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you feel the pump even running - like, you can feel the liquid moving through the unit?

Go into bios to where the fan controls are. Set the header that the pump is plugged into to DC Mode, set the minimum speed to 90% or 100%, save and exit, and check again.
It would be one heck of a coincidence for it do die on a new mobo...

Reactions: LeiHeJun
Dec 19, 2020
So there is water flowing, so it could be my airflow possibly? I was just confused because in my hardware monitor and my bios, it didn't even show a CPU fan. My PC had trouble starting up as well because it said "CPU fan error."

typically you plug the pump into a pump or SYS/CHA fan header - those should supply 2A needed for some pumps. the CPU FAN header can/should power the radiator fan in your situation - otherwise the radiator fan is responsive only to ambient case temps

check your fan curves in bios as already mentioned.

Dec 19, 2020
When checking my fan curves, the chassis fans ramp up, but the AIO pump goes up to 100%, literally in a straight line. I can't even see the pump RPM either.

A pump should be connected to a header that will always be running at 100%. That on a modern motherboard will be labeled pump header or such.
A motherboard detects that a cooler is running by checking the cpu fan header.
It may also check the fan rpm which usually needs to be enough voltage to start. If the bios explicitly or inadvertently sets the voltage at less than 5v. most fans will not start.
cha fan header speeds are variable and not for aio pumps.

Possibly, your pump is defective, but since you have a new motherboard, that is where to look.

Apparently, it is normal for ryzen to have high temperatures at idle.
I don't know if your load temperatures are out of line with a fully loaded processor.

The import of the video above is that any aio will lose fluid.
Over time even more.
The lines are never full even at time of manufacture.
If the coolant lines on the reservoir exit above the level of the pump, that is where any trapped air will congregate.
Air bubbles are injected into the pump, making it at lest inefficient, and at worst non functional.
If you can feel the pump working and you are not getting cooling, that is likely what has happened.

Your aio seems to have short coolant lines so if you mounted in the convenient way with the outlets above the cpu, then that is likely your problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, should I just flip my AIO upside down so the coolant lines are at the bottom of my case an below the CPU pump?
That's if it even reaches that way.
For many chassis, tubing bottom isn't possible, so the next best mount would be up top - if that's even possible - you haven't told us what your chassis is.

Tubing top is fine as long as the pump isn't the highest point of the loop, but you won't be able to keep it there as long compared to tubing down or just mounting the radiator at the top.

Dec 19, 2020
I'm using a Rosewill S500 Prism, which doesn't have room for the AIO on the top mount. I have it mounted on the side mount.
I'm pretty sure that I can flip the AIO over. Thank you so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.