Question Why isn't my motherboard recognizing my NEW HDD

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hello, I just did a fresh new build and I cant seem to get my Seagate 2TB 7200rpm barracuda drive to be recognized by windows or bios. Its a brand new HDD and sata cable. I only have one other storage device which is my nvme 500gb. I plugging the HDD into all of my SATA ports and still nothing. Im so lost right now. Motherboard is an AMD asus prime x570 pro board. Power supply is thermaltake gold 750watt.

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
You need to create a partition on that hard drive. To do this, do as followed

open start menu and type "create and format hard disk partitions" (without quotations of cause)
right click on the HDD you cant recognise, it should have a grey zig zag looking thing across it.
once you have right clicked a popup menu should open and select create volume
then just follow the settings in that menu from there, dont change anything except the name of the volume, everything else will be optimum settings!

Dustin Jacocks

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
You need to create a partition on that hard drive. To do this, do as followed

open start menu and type "create and format hard disk partitions" (without quotations of cause)
right click on the HDD you cant recognise, it should have a grey zig zag looking thing across it.
once you have right clicked a popup menu should open and select create volume
then just follow the settings in that menu from there, dont change anything except the name of the volume, everything else will be optimum settings!
I did say it wont get recognized in windows. I have already tried doing a partition in windows and even seeing if it would pop up in Command prompt. Still no success.