Why isn't my new GPU working?

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hello! Today I bought a new GPU: msi Radeon R9 270 2GB Gaming (OC Edition) and I installed it, it's connected to the PCI Express x16 slot on my Motherboard, which is: F2A88XM-HD3. My monitor is VGA, so I connected the Monitor to the GPU using a DVI to VGA convertor (which I recieved with the GPU). When I turn on the computer, I can hear the Windows (7, 64bit) starting, also my Skype, but there's a black screen. I recieved a 6 pin cable too, but there's nowhere to connect it. My PSU is 600W. I plugged the monitor cable to the Integrated Graphics Card and it's working. I also can't find the new GPU in Device Manager. What should I do? I hope I didn't spend so much money on something that won't work on my PC. I need your help. Thanks!

Solution

Your situation just smells of trouble, the if the power supply doesn't even have a 6 pin VGA card connector, then it really isn't rated...

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Make sure your PSU is plugged into the GPU card, the plug is usually on the right side or on the front when it is in the computer. And if you already did, boot up into onboard graphics and see if the GPU is enabled.

The card needs to be connected to the psu with the1x6 pin connector.
Also, is your monitor analog or digital? If analog you have to use the dvi-i output otherwise it won't work.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/what-is-the-difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d%3F

It should however get detected when inserted and using the onboard VGA, so I'm guessing you didn't connect the power cable in the videocard?

What brand/model is your PSU? Did you read the manual how to install the card?

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

I've read the Quick User's Guide and it wasn't written that I have to connect the GPU to the PSU. And how do I even do that? My monitor is analog, by the way.

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

I can't find any plug on the PSU, that's why I haven't plugged the 6 pin cable.

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Oh, your PSU doesn't have a 6 pin, use the included 4 pin to 6 pin adaptor, provided your PSU has enough Power, what model is it, what brand is it and is this a custom or pre- built computer.

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

It's a pre-built computer, I bought it ready for use. I don't know the model of the PSU...

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Your situation just smells of trouble, the if the power supply doesn't even have a 6 pin VGA card connector, then it really isn't rated to run one, you will have to spring for a new PSU, and replace the old one, its not that difficult of a job though, its basically just re-inserting connecters and screwing it in. Make sure to get one that is at least 500 watts. Make sure to buy one from a reputable manufacturer (Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, Antec, etc)

Solution

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Can you suggest me something solid and not so expensive, because I don't have much more money to spend on that computer?

Usually the videocard will ship with a cable to plug into a molex to provide power to the videocard. It would be something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/4-Pin-Molex-Female-Adapter-Length/dp/B007NMSUUA

If you can see the total wattage and ampere on the 12volt line of your PSU you can determine if it will be good enough for your videocard. It should be on a sticker on the PSU.
However as afterdark mentioned, if it doesn't have the 6pin connection it probably isn't a good enough PSU.
A decent PSU is not that expensive, if you want some other alternatives have a look at this list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

IvakaS

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Where should the 6 pin connector be on the PSU?

jake44264

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
You may need to do something in the bios, i currently have the same problem as you with my r9 280x, i recommend you contact gigabyte at http://esupport.gigabyte.com/ .

This is what i did to fix my problem:

Press DEL get into BIOS --> move to BIOS Features Setup --> Change the PCI ROM Priority to Legacy (default is EFI Compatible ROM) --> Save the setting and reboot.

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

The card needs a 500 watt PSU minimum, and thats usually a liberal guess. And the link is invalid, its a UK link for person in the US. And after a quick search, it is unavailable in the US. Sorry
PS. I left a link above, that product meets specs need, i do believe its pretty Internationally available

Just look for a Seasonic or XFX 650W power supply and check out what happens.