Question Why isnt my PC booting up?

Daniel_X

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
danielradosa.com
Hi, I recently bought my little brother new CPU, MOBO and RAM.

CPU: i5 10400F
MOBO: GIGABYTE H410M H
RAM: HyperX DDR4 2666MHz, 2x8GB

Components that remained from old setup are.

GPU: RX570 8GB
PSU: 500W Enermax
HDD: 1TB Seagate

As expected, I took out the old MOBO with its RAM and CPU and put in new MOBO with the new CPU and RAM.
Then connected all wires, along with official MOBO manual.

Plugged in power aaaand, nothing.
When I press start button, the LED on RAM does start glowing, however none of the fans are spinning.

I checked all cable connections 5165161 times. All fits, everything is in right order.
I even checked pins one by one.

Does anyone know why it just won't boot up?

I think PSU is enough since the CPU before had same Wattage.

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi.

If I understand correctly, you don't get a POST, correct? (not successfully powering on the system).

It might be worthwhile to try and get an error code. The system should have a Speaker header next to the front IO headers, if you can plug a motherboard speaker there, powering on should give an audible error that can be troubleshooted.

If the mobo didn't ship with one (not rare), try to see if the old system had one and take it for the new one for this test. If not, most older systems have one. If you absolutely cannot find one, you can try some other stuff.

The fact the RAM RGB lights up but the fans dont is weird... Have you tried re-seating the RAM? If not, do no.

If nothing, try taking out all the RAM. If you have a mobo speaker, it should react with a code for No RAM.

If nothing, try taking out the CPU and RAM, speaker should also react with No CPU.

It is possible for the mobo to no be able to output error codes, often on cheap Mobos.

Are you sure the PSU is not dead? You can test this safely with a pin short test, see this video :
View: https://youtu.be/aU18uPlETCM

If the PSU is good, and error codes can't help you, and that you truly tried everything else, then it's possible either the mobo or the CPU, or both, are dead or damaged.

Daniel_X

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
danielradosa.com
Hi.

If I understand correctly, you don't get a POST, correct? (not successfully powering on the system).

It might be worthwhile to try and get an error code. The system should have a Speaker header next to the front IO headers, if you can plug a motherboard speaker there, powering on should give an audible error that can be troubleshooted.

If the mobo didn't ship with one (not rare), try to see if the old system had one and take it for the new one for this test. If not, most older systems have one. If you absolutely cannot find one, you can try some other stuff.

The fact the RAM RGB lights up but the fans dont is weird... Have you tried re-seating the RAM? If not, do no.

If nothing, try taking out all the RAM. If you have a mobo speaker, it should react with a code for No RAM.

If nothing, try taking out the CPU and RAM, speaker should also react with No CPU.

It is possible for the mobo to no be able to output error codes, often on cheap Mobos.

Are you sure the PSU is not dead? You can test this safely with a pin short test, see this video :
View: https://youtu.be/aU18uPlETCM

If the PSU is good, and error codes can't help you, and that you truly tried everything else, then it's possible either the mobo or the CPU, or both, are dead or damaged.
Okay, PC starts all fans start spinning, however monitor is not displaying anything.. Its switching between HDMI and Analog.. Even tho its connected well. Tried reseating RAM and reseting CMOS, reseating GPU. Didnt help. Any ideas ? Thanks!

Last edited: