[SOLVED] Why isn't my Pc powering on?

Aug 3, 2020
So when I try to turn on my nothing happens but all of my lights in the computer work. The motherboard light is on and my keyboard and mouse light up when I click them but my computer doesn't turn on?

Solution
I just tried it. Same thing happened. So you think it's the power supply?

It might be. Though I'm not confident about that since this is the second power supply. A 450W is a bit lighter than I'd personally choose in output, but it's also not a huge problem.

I think I'd try using a single RAM stick next. If that fails, then go through the sticky in the forum about NO POST situations and run through the checklist. Though personally, I tend to go straight to breadboarding the build with minimum parts outside the case.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have had it for 2 years and the PSU is a corsair but if I PSU died wouldn't that not allow the lights to turn on?

No. It's a bit like saying that your car's engine must be fine because the lights turn on.

Let's get all the specifics of the problem, meaning complete specs and a detailed description of the history of this problem. All you've really told us is that there's some random PC out there that isn't starting right now.

Reactions: LinuxDevice
Aug 3, 2020
No. It's a bit like saying that your car's engine must be fine because the lights turn on.

Let's get all the specifics of the problem, meaning complete specs and a detailed description of the history of this problem. All you've really told us is that there's some random PC out there that isn't starting right now.
Okay I got an i7-7700k processor, and MSI geforce RTX 1060, corsair h55 liquid cpu cooler, Asus STRIX H270F GAMING ATX Motherboard, g.skills Ripjaws 2 x 8 GBs DDR4-3600, and my case is a Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case. I have had the computer for 2 years. When I moved into my dorm I had to leave my computer at home. I came back 8 months ago. I cleaned it out finding a bunch of bugs in it. Once I cleaned it out it was working perfectly that was 8 months ago. I woke up today and tried to turn it on and nothing. It didn't work. My first power supply wasn't working so I sent it back and I got sent a new one. That was 2 weeks after I first built my computer other than that the only other time my computer didn't turn on was about 2 months after I got the new power supply but a few mins after trying to turn it on it turned on. Now I am having the same problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay I got an i7-7700k processor, and MSI geforce RTX 1060, corsair h55 liquid cpu cooler, Asus STRIX H270F GAMING ATX Motherboard, g.skills Ripjaws 2 x 8 GBs DDR4-3600, and my case is a Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case. I have had the computer for 2 years. When I moved into my dorm I had to leave my computer at home. I came back 8 months ago. I cleaned it out finding a bunch of bugs in it. Once I cleaned it out it was working perfectly that was 8 months ago. I woke up today and tried to turn it on and nothing. It didn't work. My first power supply wasn't working so I sent it back and I got sent a new one. That was 2 weeks after I first built my computer other than that the only other time my computer didn't turn on was about 2 months after I got the new power supply but a few mins after trying to turn it on it turned on. Now I am having the same problem.

Have you removed the GPU and tried running it from the integrated graphics? That would be the next step in troubleshooting I would take in your shoes.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It might be. Though I'm not confident about that since this is the second power supply. A 450W is a bit lighter than I'd personally choose in output, but it's also not a huge problem.

I think I'd try using a single RAM stick next. If that fails, then go through the sticky in the forum about NO POST situations and run through the checklist. Though personally, I tend to go straight to breadboarding the build with minimum parts outside the case.

Solution
Aug 3, 2020

Alright thank you, If all else fails then I will have to replace my PSU

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for all your inofmration you wrote a book but a good one at that 🙈Anyhow looks like your opening the side panel and going inside the case when you do or did this cleaning. Perhaps wires are a bit loose on the 24pin connection or the other connections. Just reseat if you have to and make sure everything is in tact then if it doesn't turn on there is a way to make it turn on if you will. Just remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes while PSU is plugged out not just button. Then after 5 minutes put back the CMOS battery and plug in the PSU to surge hopefully and then power her on and I bet you anything it will turn on. At this point if you still have issues hit us back were here to help. 🤷‍♀️💯✝👨🏽‍🦲

Aug 25, 2020
mi computadora tiene exactamente el mismo problema
[QUOTE = "Papighost_, publicación: 21931297, miembro: 2833189"]
Entonces, cuando trato de encender mi, no pasa nada, pero todas las luces de la computadora funcionan. La luz de la placa base está encendida y mi teclado y mouse se encienden cuando hago clic en ellos, pero mi computadora no se enciende.
[/CITAR]

Aug 3, 2020
Thanks for all your inofmration you wrote a book but a good one at that 🙈Anyhow looks like your opening the side panel and going inside the case when you do or did this cleaning. Perhaps wires are a bit loose on the 24pin connection or the other connections. Just reseat if you have to and make sure everything is in tact then if it doesn't turn on there is a way to make it turn on if you will. Just remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes while PSU is plugged out not just button. Then after 5 minutes put back the CMOS battery and plug in the PSU to surge hopefully and then power her on and I bet you anything it will turn on. At this point if you still have issues hit us back were here to help. 🤷‍♀️💯✝👨🏽‍🦲
I tried everything I even got a replacement power supply to try it out and it doesn't work. Maybe it is the motherboard?

So when I try to turn on my nothing happens but all of my lights in the computer work. The motherboard light is on and my keyboard and mouse light up when I click them but my computer doesn't turn on?
I think everyone talking about power supply will be right, and 450W is rather marginal, though the 1060 does not take much power. Realize that you can remove all RAM and the hard drives can be disconnected, and you should be able to boot to the BIOS (and probably just one memory stick). If there is onboard video, you could even try without the video card. Strip it down as much as possible and try to get to the BIOS. If you still cannot get that far, then I'm further inclined to think power supply...what many people don't realize is that part of the switching supply has to reach a certain stability or the motherboard won't continue. With so much else eliminated, it could be something else, e.g., motherboard, but power supplies do this so often I would still think it is the number 1 probably cause. If you do get a new supply, try to get 550W (which will work reliably with a lot more power consumption).