Question Why Isn't My RAM Compatible? (First Case Swap / RAM Upgrade)

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
My first PC case swap!

This was an HP 3500 Pro MT and I am trying to move it to this case:
Montech Flyer Micro ATX Computer Gaming Case, Black - Newegg.com

But I am having a few problems.

Last night I installed this RAM (trying to make a small upgrade):

Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 1.35V Non-ECC Unbuffered 240-pin DIMM Memory

MPN:CT2K51264BD160B
Form Factor:DIMMItem Length:5.28in.
Capacity per Module:4 GBItem Height:1.23in.
Type:DDR3 SDRAMNumber of Pins:240
Number of Modules:2Item Width:0.03in.
Model:CT2K51264BD160BBrand:Crucial
Bus Speed:PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)Memory Features:ECC Memory
Total Capacity:8 GBUPC:064952875412

I went to sleep leaving the PC on. I woke up this morning and there was a message on the screen saying there was no video input (even though everything looked fine when I went to sleep).

I shut down the computer the only way I could (simply held down the power button until the pc shut off).

When I did get the pc running again (after a few tries), Windows 10 did start but there were some strange green squares visible in random places on the monitor display. That made me nervous and I shut down the computer!

What should I do now? (I haven't even mentioned the fact that I haven't gotten the fan/lights in the front panel to work!)

Mostly, I would just like to know WHY this ram isn't compatible?

I checked so many of the different numbers involved (1.35 mhz, DDR3-1600, CL 11)...

What did I do wrong??
Please help

=(

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The processor you have does not support low voltage ram kits, meaning you should've picked up 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz rated to run at 1.5v(not 1.35v). To add, you also have an H61 chipsetted motherboard which will not allow you to go above DDR3-1333MHz in spite of your processor being capable of running DDR3-1600MHz.

Might want to work with the prior stick of ram and then see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your prebuilt.

Reactions: JudithWright

JudithWright

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
Thank you, this is very helpful!

But also confusing because the original ram stick was 1.35v !

Does anyone know why the computer wouldn't turn on properly or why there were strange green squares on the screen?