[SOLVED] Why isn't Windows booting?

Apr 4, 2020
I recently bought a new hard drive for an older PC. It's outdated, but all of its other components worked, and my dad just needed it for some light internet browsing. After buying the new hard drive, I used my own PC to put a copy of Windows 10 on it. I then took out the old hard drive from the old PC, and put the new one in. After booting, it kept coming up with an error code saying "restart and select proper boot device". I've tried other options from the internet but none have worked. What do I do?

Solution
Is there any other storage device plugged into the system other than the hard drive? If yes, remove all such storage devices - only connect the HDD to the PC, see if it is detected then. Also, go into your BIOS to make sure the HDD is detected there or not. If it isn't, then either the motherboard SATA port or one of the two cables going into the HDD are faulty.
I recently bought a new hard drive for an older PC. It's outdated, but all of its other components worked, and my dad just needed it for some light internet browsing. After buying the new hard drive, I used my own PC to put a copy of Windows 10 on it. I then took out the old hard drive from the old PC, and put the new one in. After booting, it kept coming up with an error code saying "restart and select proper boot device". I've tried other options from the internet but none have worked. What do I do?
It would be better to format the HDD, put it into your dad's system, and then install Windows through a USB drive on his system itself - it will let the system 'get used to' the hard drive being the default boot drive, plus Windows will install the drivers, etc based on the specs of that system, rather than drivers meant for your system. If there is a huge difference between specs of your system and those of his system, then this might be the problem.

Apr 4, 2020
It would be better to format the HDD, put it into your dad's system, and then install Windows through a USB drive on his system itself - it will let the system 'get used to' the hard drive being the default boot drive, plus Windows will install the drivers, etc based on the specs of that system, rather than drivers meant for your system. If there is a huge difference between specs of your system and those of his system, then this might be the problem.
That's actually originally what I tried. The same error came up when I used the blank hard drive and USB in his system. I figured by putting a copy of Windows on it beforehand, that problem might go away.

USAFRet

Titan
"I used my own PC to put a copy of Windows 10 on it. I then took out the old hard drive from the old PC, and put the new one in. "

That is specifically why.
Windows is NOT modular, and does not like to be moved between systems.

In trying to 'save time', it results in much more time consumed.

Put the desired drive in whatever system, and do the install there.

Apr 4, 2020
"I used my own PC to put a copy of Windows 10 on it. I then took out the old hard drive from the old PC, and put the new one in. "

That is specifically why.
Windows is NOT modular, and does not like to be moved between systems.

In trying to 'save time', it results in much more time consumed.

Put the desired drive in whatever system, and do the install there.
I actually tried to use the blank drive at first, and when that didn't work, I tried putting windows on it beforehand

Is there any other storage device plugged into the system other than the hard drive? If yes, remove all such storage devices - only connect the HDD to the PC, see if it is detected then. Also, go into your BIOS to make sure the HDD is detected there or not. If it isn't, then either the motherboard SATA port or one of the two cables going into the HDD are faulty.

Solution