Why It Matters That Microsoft Rebranded 'Windows Holographic' To 'Windows Mixed Reality'

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane_50

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
I dont know why they just don't brand themselves as xr as it encompasses all realities into the one thus creating less confusion for the general public all they need to know is xr will offer them a reality based experience with no explanation of what is the difference between ar vr and mr . Plus Xr just looks cooler thats why xtreme sports or the x games embraced this just looks hip .

neonray

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
Simple! Its not xr, its MR (Mixed Reality). MR is used by many in the industry and is getting used by techies and companies, now please dont bring on xr stuff and add to the confusion!

shane_50

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
The general public has to deal with such tech terms like vr ar mr immersive 360 cr hr imagine how confussed they will become about each one and whats the difference crazy stuff the old tried and proven method in life always works the " kiss " method keep it simple stupid still applies today xr

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

We could have a spirited debate about this (uhh, are we about to?), but let me start by acknowledging that you're mostly right. The whole of the spectrum is indeed "mixed reality." At one end of the spectrum is AR (see through lenses, some things added to actual reality), and at the other end there's fully occluded VR. Everything else is somewhere on that spectrum. So...yes, it's all technically "mixed reality."

But in practice, calling *everything* on the spectrum "mixed reality" is problematic. Let's say I'm describing the Oculus Rift. Do I call it a "mixed reality HMD"? No, because that would be confusing. If I'm trying to explain what it is, I have to call it a "VR HMD". But...there are also HMDs that do mixed reality, which is to say, they mix elements of the virtual and real worlds. I would call that a "mixed reality HMD".

In other words, the term that possibly most accurately describes the whole of the spectrum is BOTH a general term AND a specific one. #nomenclatureprobs

I like "XR" because it's ONLY a general term. And the "x" is kind of like a variable, sort of like (A, V, or M)R. And it's a cross symbol, as in a crossing of realities. Eh. Fun.

neonray

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
When MR comprises of AR & VR, why would jump out and bring a new xr!?
Funny guys! MR is complete and ultimate! That's it!

G

Knowing that Windows 10 market share dropped last month and Windows 7 market went up tells me that people drop Win10 like there is no tomorrow. Microsoft is trying to make a strong case for Windows 10 which is slowly becoming an epic failure.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Love the way MR or XR is going. I will never buy a VR headset, but will be an early adopter of the second generation MR/XR products (which won't really make me an early adopter... but will make me interested in a more finished product). The potential for adding to the real world is huge, as Mr. Trump might say. I never want to be fully immersed in a technology, the way VR does, but MR lets you stay part of the world while enjoying extra stuff and that is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS