Question Why low CPU usage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the GPU chip cause problems for the CPU usage? GPU doesn't look fried and is working as it should though.
Yes it will screw with the CPU usage do to false info being sent to the full system basically saying hey don't use the CPU for this task the gpu can handle it no problem in all reality the gpu can only handle 1/4 of the task that's being pushed through it. But the PC doesn't know this because again the gpu thinks it's doing the job amazingly.... However the main question I have right now is, is it just rdr2 the problem is in or is their a variety of games this issue is present if it's the lader and a in-between thing the gpu is probably on its way out saddly... If it's only 1 or two games/apps the problem is showing up in then there maybe a windows error that's isn't being caught and a fresh install will be mandatory for proper function of the system

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
Yes it will screw with the CPU usage do to false info being sent to the full system basically saying hey don't use the CPU for this task the gpu can handle it no problem in all reality the gpu can only handle 1/4 of the task that's being pushed through it. But the PC doesn't know this because again the gpu thinks it's doing the job amazingly.... However the main question I have right now is, is it just rdr2 the problem is in or is their a variety of games this issue is present if it's the lader and a in-between thing the gpu is probably on its way out saddly... If it's only 1 or two games/apps the problem is showing up in then there maybe a windows error that's isn't being caught and a fresh install will be mandatory for proper function of the system
So far I've tried it on The Witcher and Rdr2, both has the same CPU info

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
I still wonder, does that effect the performance? or is it just info

KyaraM

Admirable
I'm sorry, I can't make anything out in your screenshots on my phone, quality is too bad for the small screen; it's tiny and zooming in makes it unreadable. What GPU is it, and is it new? It sits at 100%? Is the 1-5% core load, or total CPU load? They aren't the same thing. On my i7, I can have up to 90% on a single thread, but 2% total load, for example. What are the FPS you get?

Task manager is trash now, from my understanding they screwed it up so much it no longer gives the right values for things that's it's reading.... An other words people have been reporting 100% CPU usage through task manager and only 30% usage through Ryzen master or Intel's CPU monitoring device.. sorry don't know much about Intel hate them they maybe better the amd in a lot of ways but they deffently charge prices like their god or something.... As for the CPU still being good yes I don't doubt the CPU is fully functional... It's the gpu I'm questioning... Blender test and things like benchmark as well don't take into account a fried gpu chip they most of the time won't even know unless it's so bad it causes crashes or systems failures...
Took a look at CPU and other computer component prices lately? It's AMD asking a premium for some time now. If that's your entire complaint..

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
I'm sorry, I can't make anything out in your screenshots on my phone, quality is too bad for the small screen; it's tiny and zooming in makes it unreadable. What GPU is it, and is it new? It sits at 100%? Is the 1-5% core load, or total CPU load? They aren't the same thing. On my i7, I can have up to 90% on a single thread, but 2% total load, for example. What are the FPS you get?

Took a look at CPU and other computer component prices lately? It's AMD asking a premium for some time now. If that's your entire complaint..
The screenshot shows all cores with all usages, the very first core is using about 1~8% but every other core is 0%

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019

You can see this one better I think
View: https://imgur.com/a/CcBelAN

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Is that a bad thing? I though 100% is normal for GPUs in games like rdr2. please explain
If it's maxed out then you can't get anymore FPS and the CPU has nothing to do.

Your CPU can get X amount of FPS in a given game until it gets limited by the video card.

Your wanting more FPS and more CPU usage then cut your in game settings down.

In RDR2 I get around 60 FPS @ 1440p with a 2080 video card.

Edit a lot of those programs that show usage I would not trust being correct.

Last edited:

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019

Your CPU can get X amount of FPS in a given game until it gets limited by the video card.

Which settings would the GPU use more?

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019

Changed all GPU heavy settings to Low and everything is still the same. even tried using Radeon, Ryzen master, ryzen sys monitor, fpsmonitor and all show the same result

Hey yall, I just started playing rdr2 and tried the game on ultra-high settings to test FPS and noticed that my CPU is 1%
I've faced the same exact issue with The Witcher 3 next gen, CPU setting at 1~5%
Is that even possible?
I also notice that Afterburner would report really low CPU utilization for my 5800X while gaming, so I'm wondering if it's a problem with that. Try getting HWInfo64 and look at it's Core Utility metrics. You can create a chart on the desktop to see it over time as you run a benchmark. It reports one for each thread so the charts can get crazy...or just an aggregate of all threads.

The author hasn't been able to post many updates to Afterburner because MSI can't get him payment. So it could be in need of updating for the seemingly endless changes with Windows and device drivers that we still get.

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
I also notice that Afterburner would report really low CPU utilization for my 5800X while gaming, so I'm wondering if it's a problem with that. Try getting HWInfo64 and look at it's Core Utility metrics. You can create a chart on the desktop to see it over time as you run a benchmark. It reports one for each thread so the charts can get crazy...or just an aggregate of all threads.

The author hasn't been able to post many updates to Afterburner because MSI can't get him payment. So it could be in need of updating for the seemingly endless changes with Windows and device drivers that we still get.
Did a CinebenchR20 with HWInfo and this is how it looks
View: https://imgur.com/a/Ur6vlc4

Did a CinebenchR20 with HWInfo and this is how it looks
View: https://imgur.com/a/Ur6vlc4
That's HWMonitor, not HWInfo64. Even so, it's reporting 100% CPU utilization as it should.

It would be helpful to know how it tracks over time during the CB run but based on the HWMonitor report I'd say your problem is a glitch in Afterburner's monitoring. If you haven't yet, download the latest to see if that helps. If not you may have to wait until more updates come but that may be a while.

Last edited:

GekYume

Reputable
May 28, 2019
That's HWMonitor, not HWInfo64. Even so, it's reporting 100% CPU utilization as it should.

It would be helpful to know how it tracks over time during the CB run but based on the HWMonitor report I'd say your problem is a glitch in Afterburner's monitoring. If you haven't yet, download the latest to see if that helps. If not you may have to wait until more updates come but that may be a while.
I tried RivaTuner And It reported CPU usage of 20~25% but everything else is reporting 1% I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.