Why malware-byte can detect some viruses which Mcafee, and other antivirus did not detect.

Jean_40

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
I am just curious, I have tried windows defender, avg and Mcafee but Malwarebyte is special as it is the only one which actually detect viruses. Is it normal?

Solution
They all develop own methods and tools which detect software that could be a virus. They don't tell other people how they detect these (makes it easier for virus makes to avoid and the competition to steal your work and tools). So each company is only going to be able to detect a certain subset of the know redirectors, malware, spyware, viruses, rootkits, pop-up, etc, etc. No one single software can detect them all. I've had malwarebytes tell me a system was clean when I could look at the temp folders, registry keys, etc and know I had some kind of bug.
They all develop own methods and tools which detect software that could be a virus. They don't tell other people how they detect these (makes it easier for virus makes to avoid and the competition to steal your work and tools). So each company is only going to be able to detect a certain subset of the know redirectors, malware, spyware, viruses, rootkits, pop-up, etc, etc. No one single software can detect them all. I've had malwarebytes tell me a system was clean when I could look at the temp folders, registry keys, etc and know I had some kind of bug.

Solution

mwryder55

Distinguished
McAfee, and most anti-virus programs, looks for a specific pattern in files to determine if they are a virus. If the virus is new, or the definitions have not been updated lately, they will not see the virus.
Other programs, I am only familiar with Sophos at this time, look for specific behavior in the program. For example, a ransom ware program calling home to get the key to encrypt the file will be stopped by these programs because of the act of going to an external site.
None of these are a substitute for the acts of safe browsing and opening of attached or downloaded files.

Jean_40

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
So guys what is the best antivirus you can advise me?. Personally, I feel that malware-byte is the best because before there was an adware which many antivirus programs could not detect until I used malwarebyte.

mwryder55

Distinguished
You need to find one that works against both "normal" viruses and things like ransom ware. Personally, I use Kaspersky Internet Security as I have had problems in the past with Norton, McAfee, and Comodo. I used AVG for awhile but my experience was neutral.
Again, none of them will always protect you if you encounter a previously unknown piece of malware. I have been using PCs since the IBM PC-1 and have never had a machine infected. I have only received a couple of infected e-mails in that time and a couple of warnings of suspicious downloads.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Malwarebytes is not technically an anti-virus program; it's more like Spybot S&D of the old days. It looks for malware other than viruses, and if you pay for the subscription (it's worth every penny) it'll actively protect your computer.

Kaspersky is a good one, but bear in mind it's somewhat intrusive; every time it updates, it forgets which programs you told it to trust and spams you with "Are you sure you want to allow explorer.exe to do what it's supposed to do?" messages. Still, I'd rather it be overly suspicious than never notify me of anything.