[SOLVED] Why Memory speed decreases after upgrading RAM?

Aug 5, 2022
I have an ACER Nitro 5 Laptop i5 11th Gen. Originally it has 8GB of ram installed with 3200 MHz speed. Yesterday I bought a RAM with the same speed of 3200mHz. After inserting the ram, I'm expecting that it would double the speed hence it decreases the speed down to 2933mHz. Please see:

Please see image

Why is this happening?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you please pass on the make and model of both sticks of ram in your laptop? Also, did you make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to dropping in the new stick of ram?

Aug 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you please pass on the make and model of both sticks of ram in your laptop? Also, did you make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop prior to dropping in the new stick of ram?
Yes, It is the latest BIOS available. Actually they are in different Brand. The Original RAM is Samsung and the one I bought yesterday is ELITE SO-DIMM DDR4 LAPTOP MEMORY

Aug 5, 2022
Unfortunately I am using my laptop now since I have work to be done. Is this because Im using different brand of RAM? Or does RAM speed matter the the size itself?

I have an ACER Nitro 5 Laptop i5 11th Gen. Originally it has 8GB of ram installed with 3200 MHz speed. Yesterday I bought a RAM with the same speed of 3200mHz. After inserting the ram, I'm expecting that it would double the speed hence it decreases the speed down to 2933mHz. Please see:

Please see image

Why is this happening?
That's different.
What is this laptop that has 8 ram slots?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah both sticks have 3200 profile but is running at 2933 as you said. Possibly difference in IC chips on ram, a stick with Samsung and other Micron, that 2933 be what's set for compatibility. What ram options have you got in bios? Anything speed related you can change?

Cpuz showing 8 slots as well is weird. What version of Nitro 5 have you got? Should be series of numbers and letters after Nitro 5. Whats the serial or sid number?

Aug 5, 2022
Yeah both sticks have 3200 profile but is running at 2933 as you said. Possibly difference in IC chips on ram, a stick with Samsung and other Micron, that 2933 be what's set for compatibility. What ram options have you got in bios? Anything speed related you can change?

Cpuz showing 8 slots as well is weird. What version of Nitro 5 have you got? Should be series of numbers and letters after Nitro 5. Whats the serial or sid number?

This is my System Model: Nitro AN515-57. I'm not sure if there's option in the bios to enable speed related functionality.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Trying to research, not sure if TG is single or dual rank. The original ram is single rank though as we can see it written. Someone else might know. Buying a kit of 2 as suggested is probably what you're going to have to do if you want 3200 to play nicely. Or settle for 2933, there's not a whole lot of difference in performance.

Aug 5, 2022
Trying to research, not sure if TG is single or dual rank. The original ram is single rank though as we can see it written. Someone else might know. Buying a kit of 2 as suggested is probably what you're going to have to do if you want 3200 to play nicely. Or settle for 2933, there's not a whole lot of difference in performance.

this is very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: boju