[SOLVED] why might my pc be underperforming

jdaprile18

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
my system has a ryzen 5 for a CPU, a gtx 1070, and 8 gb of gddr4 ram, this leads me to beleive that although its not a monster, i should eb able to play battlefield 5 on low settings, however, i can barely get and average of 40 fps and or somereason my disk usage is always at 100 percent when running most games, even though i disabled all the dumb windows stuff that is said to cuase that, ass well as fix the regedit bug? on bottle necker it says that in order for a gtx 1070 to run properly, it needs 16 GB of ram, could this be the issue?

Solution
Don't trust bottlenecker - it misses so much it's unbelievable. A GPU doesn't require a certain amount of RAM - it's more the application that requires a certain amount of RAM.

Battlefield 5 RECOMMENDS more than 8GB of RAM so this could also be an issue. If you are trying to use more RAM than available, you will end up dipping into virtual RAM which will increase disk usage.

Best thing to do is identify what's using up all your Disk Resource using Task Manager or Resource Monitor (more detailed). Excessive disk usage can also be a sign of malware infection, so running virus / malware scans may be advisable if there is no obvious cause.

You can also run this benchmark to see if there is anything glaringly obvious: Userbenchmark

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't trust bottlenecker - it misses so much it's unbelievable. A GPU doesn't require a certain amount of RAM - it's more the application that requires a certain amount of RAM.

Battlefield 5 RECOMMENDS more than 8GB of RAM so this could also be an issue. If you are trying to use more RAM than available, you will end up dipping into virtual RAM which will increase disk usage.

Best thing to do is identify what's using up all your Disk Resource using Task Manager or Resource Monitor (more detailed). Excessive disk usage can also be a sign of malware infection, so running virus / malware scans may be advisable if there is no obvious cause.

You can also run this benchmark to see if there is anything glaringly obvious: Userbenchmark

Solution

jdaprile18

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017

whats weird is when i open task manager, even though i cleared up space, battlefield 5 will use up 5.8 mb/s and thee taks manager is saying thats 100 percent of disk, im about to run a malware scan but i really dont think thats it

jdaprile18

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
Well as I said - malware is just one idea. But you'll also want to check WHAT is causing a bottleneck. It could equally be your RAM using virtual RAM space on your HDD.
Just go through all of the options I mentioned then feedback.
ok so i used benchmark and he only thing that came up bad is the drive which is performing "way below expectations" 3rd percentile, so i guess my drive is probably the issue, one of the reasons this could be is the actual cord i have plugged in, however i have this cord https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZREZSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which says its sata 3 with this hard drive https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YMZR5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 which is just sata so it should work, my best guess is that i either have a faulty hard drive, i have a virus, i pluged it into the wrong slot on the motherboard or maybe when i cloned it it got fd up

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Again - RAM could still be the issue - if you're encountering this in a game which recommends 12GB of RAM. You only ahve 8. Which can cause increased disk usage depending on if you're using virtual memory. I doubt it's much to do with the cable itself.

Once again - go to task manager or resource monitor and find out what is actually causing a bottleneck - and if it is even your disk usage that is causing the slow downs.

jdaprile18

Reputable
Jul 22, 2017
Again - RAM could still be the issue - if you're encountering this in a game which recommends 12GB of RAM. You only ahve 8. Which can cause increased disk usage depending on if you're using virtual memory. I doubt it's much to do with the cable itself.

Once again - go to task manager or resource monitor and find out what is actually causing a bottleneck - and if it is even your disk usage that is causing the slow downs.
I fixed the issue, task manager no longer says 100 percent disk at 4 mb per sec and i can run games now, the issue was a fd up hard drive, thanks for helping man, and also i do plan on getting more ram i just didnt think that was the whole problem. (edit, bf 5 now runs better on ultra than it did on low)