[SOLVED] Why much lower fps after a few hours of mining?

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
Hi there
I have troubles with my RTX 3080. As an example I will use the game Red Dead Redemption 2. I used to get almost 90 fps in the built in benchmark on 1440p with no msaa and disabled tree tesselation. A few days ago I tried out nicehash (cryptomining software) for just a few hours. Not more than 5 hours in total. Now I only get about 60 fps with the same settings and everything. I have deinstalled the mining software. The weird thing is my core clocks and gpu usage are still the same as before I tried mining (about 1900-2000mhz).
I have also deinstalled and reinstalled msi afterburner, but nothing changed.
I do not know if the mining has anything to do with it, that could be a coincidence.
I alo get way fewer fps in other games.

Any help as to why this is happening or how I can fix this is greatly appreciated.

Solution
@Krypton10

This:

"I doubt that mining a few hours would reduce a gpu's capabilities by 50%. "

Yes, we would hope so but the reality is that many products are designed to die (EOL - End of Life) in one way or another.

Likewise made to be unrepairable with the overall objective being to sell more GPU's (or whatever....).

One way of doing so is to use components that are more heat sensitive and subject to failure if overheated. Even for what may seem to be an insignificant amount of time.

GPU manufacturers know that people will bit-mine. All the manufacturers need to do, perhaps, is add some fine print somewhere (if even necessary) and the manufacturer is off the hook for any warranty claims. End user is left with a...

Lutfij

Titan
Mining isn't just a number counter that runs off of the GPU's resources, t physically taxes the GPU chip and with every taxation of the GPU, you're sending it to the point of no return. It's one of the reasons why we advise people not to buy second hand cards that were used for mining. They make for good room heaters and paper weight but end up being glitchy and horrible gaming cards.

Krypton10

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
Mining isn't just a number counter that runs off of the GPU's resources, t physically taxes the GPU chip and with every taxation of the GPU, you're sending it to the point of no return. It's one of the reasons why we advise people not to buy second hand cards that were used for mining. They make for good room heaters and paper weight but end up being glitchy and horrible gaming cards.

I doubt that mining a few hours would reduce a gpu's capabilities by 50%.

Mar 10, 2021
hi, im having the same problem with a 1080 ti, after mining for a fe hours i get low fps in rdr2, i usually play at 1440p with medium settings and i get around 70 to 80 fps, but after mining with kryptex i have around 50 to 60 fps, i check my stats and all seems well, i tried fo fix it unistalling the drivers with DDU and it works, but when a go mining again and then gaming after that, the problem come back. i think it has to do something with the mining software like nicehash and kryptex. i gonna try mining on my own with t rex and watch what happens.

Ralston18

Titan
@Krypton10

This:

"I doubt that mining a few hours would reduce a gpu's capabilities by 50%. "

Yes, we would hope so but the reality is that many products are designed to die (EOL - End of Life) in one way or another.

Likewise made to be unrepairable with the overall objective being to sell more GPU's (or whatever....).

One way of doing so is to use components that are more heat sensitive and subject to failure if overheated. Even for what may seem to be an insignificant amount of time.

GPU manufacturers know that people will bit-mine. All the manufacturers need to do, perhaps, is add some fine print somewhere (if even necessary) and the manufacturer is off the hook for any warranty claims. End user is left with a broken or only partially functioning GPU.

Seconding @Lutfij

Solution