Why my AMD Apu A6 Series is SO slow?

Apr 7, 2018
Ok I write this because I already try everything, and maybe someone else have the same problem and find solutions.

I have a 2014 Samsung Laptop, AMD Apu A4/A6 Series, 4Gb Ram with integrated Grapich Card "Radeon HD 8250" of 512 mb.

Because I really don't get it, I know it's an APU, but it's 4 Core and 4Gb of Ram it should not be that slow, it make me feel like it's only using 1 single thread instead of 4. I try changing drivers (some pleople say that may be the problem) still the same.

For example CSGO which is a 2012 game, it runs at 10-15 fps tops, 20-25 when remain 1 vs 1, (ultra-low settings)

When before I can play the same game on my other old laptop (2009 HP) Intel Dual-Core, 2Gb of Ram, Dedicated AMD Radeon HD 4500 Series 512mb at 30-40fps ! in med-high settings!

I know in this case the Grapich Card is a dedicated one, but it's a very old laptop, why my Samsung is so slow compared to this one?

Has anybody face this issue with and Apu laptop? of course i don't want to overclock it... I don't want the laptop die so fast

Solution
The big problem with AMD based laptops from that era is they tended to thermal throttle a lot. AMD's CPUs from that period simply ran too hot and used too much power to really be viable in the laptop space for anything beyond basic tasks. The Radeon HD 8250 is also quite slow, slower than the Intel HD 4000 IGP on Ivy Bridge CPUs, so that might also be why you're having problems running games, it's possible the older laptop's dedicated GPU is actually faster.

The big problem with AMD based laptops from that era is they tended to thermal throttle a lot. AMD's CPUs from that period simply ran too hot and used too much power to really be viable in the laptop space for anything beyond basic tasks. The Radeon HD 8250 is also quite slow, slower than the Intel HD 4000 IGP on Ivy Bridge CPUs, so that might also be why you're having problems running games, it's possible the older laptop's dedicated GPU is actually faster.

Solution

Chris Fetters

Distinguished
BANNED
Dec 6, 2013
It's probably because the ram in running in single channel (1 stick, 1/2 the memory bandwidth) because that's how they cheaped out on all the old AMD laptops. Check if there's just 1 stick of ram inside, and if that's the case buy another 4GB DDR3 SODIMM (laptop ram stick) of the same size/speed and throw it in, and that should make a HUGE difference. Games for example will run about 2X as fast, not ever kidding. Now this won't turn it into any kind of a speed demon or nothing, that's for damn sure, that's still gonna be a really slow PC no matter what you do with it, but it will make a dramatic difference none the less.

And another option for a dramatic speed boost is to throw in a cheap 250GB SSD ($60-80), and then replace the DVD drive with the original hard drive using a cheap $7 caddie for bulk storage when/if you need it.

TRENDING THREADS