Question Why my Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Turbo crashes when loading its own Nvidia drivers?

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
This card has been with me since Dec of 2018 and its more than 4 years old now. Fast forward this year, Jan 2023, i first encountered it crashed but reinstalled windows then worked fine again. 1 month later it crashed again, so did a clean reinstal of windows then it worked again. Then on the 3rd time, a month later it reoccured with the same issue, but this time i dont want to do any reinstallation anymore as it's so inconvinent having to reinstall my apps and games over and over again.

After all that this has happened to me, I learned that this issue is caused by the Nvidia driver that my card is using because when i load it with the basic microsoft drivers it displays to my monitor without any issue but when the Nvidia drivers gets loaded, then the screen shows "garbage" (where my monitors shows different colors).

I have pinpointed this culprit because when i start it normally, i can still get to load to windows then a few seconds, BAAM!!, it crashes. But when i start it in safemode where microsoft basic drivers are the only one loading up, no crashes at all. So could it be possible that my card is still in good working condition but its only having issues with my driver? Or could it be that my GPU's chipset is reaching its retirement? Please help! I still dont want to replace this card as it required me a hefty amount of price when i purchased it. Here's my specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
GPU: Asus Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Turbo
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 1gb
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Lutfij

Titan
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Do you let the OS download and install all drivers meant for your platform or do you manually install them in an elevated command?

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to open up Device Manager and see if anything is flagged with an error, namely if your GPU is flagged with an Error 43. Use GPU-Z and see what's showing up on the first tab.

MarkLawrence_1993

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Do you let the OS download and install all drivers meant for your platform or do you manually install them in an elevated command?

How old is the PSU in your build? You might want to open up Device Manager and see if anything is flagged with an error, namely if your GPU is flagged with an Error 43. Use GPU-Z and see what's showing up on the first tab.
I purchased my OS from a licensed reseller here in my country and it is a genuine license. At first I tried to download all drivers thru the OS updates, then manually, but issue still occurs on both.

My PSU is relatively as old as my GPU as well, a Corsair AX1200i. No red flags as well in my device manager. As of now i can't paste links here of the image of my GPU-Z, how do i paste image here?