smithdickerson

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone tell me why my computer crash?
from time to time my computer crashes. I use this computer primary for video editing (using adobe premiere 2.0). After it crashes, I get a blue screen with an error message: Beginning dump of physical memory, or emu10klm.sys, along with some number like 0x0000000A(0x0000BAB4,0x00000001, 0x806e4a8e) this number is not always the same. Can anyone tell me what is going on with my computer?

The system is:
- Intel Q6600
- Raid 0, using 2 raptor hard drive
- 2 gb of Corsaid (I swap to 2 bf of kingston memory, but still having a same problem) 6400 (2x1)
- Asua P5N32-E SLI
- 550 watts Ultra 2.0 power supply
- PNY VCQFX560 PCIE Quardro 128 MB Video Card
- Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card
- Zalman CPU fan
- Window XP Pro 32 bits
- Stock speed
-------------------------------------------------
Before I upgrade my system it was a E6600 and PNY GeForce 7900GS, and every thing the same as above. The system did not crash before I upgrade. Did a new fresh window install

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
it's hard to find any information on the emu10klm.sys file.

which probably means it's something you dont want or need.

get the file info for that file, see what's using it. possibly a virus

endyen

Splendid
Try running memtest86. It sounds like a memory system problem, and that would confirm it.
If it is a problem in the memory system, you may be able to correct it by increasing the vdimm, or by loosening off your timings.

jaguc

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Just some quick (and perhaps obvious) observations:

1) Did you clean off the TIM from the heatsink and start afresh?

2) I believe emu10klm.sys is something related to the sound card drivers.

3) I agree with the previous post about memory problems, but would add that memory tests on my Asus P5N32-E SLI (PLUS) motherboard - with I only used for a month due to the problems I had - passed, but the system was certainly less than stable in real usage. I switched to an Asus Maximus Formula and have yet to experience a single problem. I don't know if the non-plus version of that Asus motherboard is similarly inflicted with memory stability issues.

4) Are you running your system at stock timings/voltages?

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
i believe that file is a driver, i saw a name like that with different numbers somewhere before.... anywho, try the usual reinstall of drivers too.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
If you are using VISTA then pull this guy below out and see if you get the same error. This card has issues with VISTA and Creative are not going to support it. Shame, but them's the breaks. It's also possible that the quad is having trouble with the sound card drivers so its still worth pulling the card to see if the problem goes away.

Creative SB Live! Value Sound Card

I checked Creative's site, and they have the product listed as "End Of Service Life". This would explain why Creative are no longer supporting it. Regarding Vista - There are brand new drivers, in both 32 and 64 bit versions for the sound cards which Creative are still producing.

And I have a hard time believing that there could somehow be a conflict between a processor and a sound card.

But what the hell... Let's blame Vista anyhow!! :pfff: