Question Why my computer didnt turn on?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
My computer sometimes freezed but then it worked fine; sometimes at the login window or other times just when the desktop appeared.
But today, it would pass from the log in screen. Also, it gave me blue screens telling me windows could start up.
I made a quick google search and I saw something on removing the ram and hearing the beeps from my Gigabyte motherboard.
I removed both ddr3 sticks and then turn it on. It made like 50 beeps. Then I reinserted one stick and it turned on. After that, I added the other stick and it turned on.
I'm confused why it worked now...
I think its probably because of dusk accumulated.
What do you guys think?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU.

Yes. No harm in carefully cleaning out dust and debris.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

If the above is not successful:

Listen carefully to the beeps. Likely some pattern of long and short beeps. Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find out what any particular beep code pattern may indicate.

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU.

Yes. No harm in carefully cleaning out dust and debris.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Check by sight and feel that all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

If the above is not successful:

Listen carefully to the beeps. Likely some pattern of long and short beeps. Go to the motherboard's manufacturer's website to find out what any particular beep code pattern may indicate.
So...the ram could have been the problem?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Yes.

Especially if all of the beeps when RAM was removed was the error code for RAM related problems.
It happen again today.
I again removed the ram, cleaned it with a microfiber cloth and also the slots.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat could be happeninggggg. There could have been more dust?
Or when I "remove the ram" I move something that doesnt work correctly but because I move it it starts working or somthing like that.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History. There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the RAM issues.

Yes: there could be something else loose.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Verify by sight and feel that all cards, cables, jumpers, and (again) RAM are all fully and firmly in place.

System specs?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Look in Reliability History. There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that correspond with the RAM issues.

Yes: there could be something else loose.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Verify by sight and feel that all cards, cables, jumpers, and (again) RAM are all fully and firmly in place.

System specs?
Thanks, I'm going to check that. My specs are on the images.

Ralston18

Titan
Key is to identify what app is (or may be) involved.

And you are correct that the improper shutdowns were likely due to the original freeze/fault.

Remember you can right-click errors for more details.

You can also look in Event Viewer for more error information there and right-as well.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Key is to identify what app is (or may be) involved.

And you are correct that the improper shutdowns were likely due to the original freeze/fault.

Remember you can right-click errors for more details.

You can also look in Event Viewer for more error information there and right-as well.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?
Today my computer didn't turned on again. Today I just opened the case and just with one finger wagged both ram sticks; very gently. It turned on. So its probably a connection to the ram problem or the ram is the problem. Btw, I've bought like 2 other ram sticks from the same guy and they stopped working correctly, it made Windows crash. Thats why now I have 2 other ram sticks.
Could it be that my motherboard is wrong and is "burning" my ram sticks?
Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
When you "wag" the RAM sticks use a bright flashlight to identify what is moving:

Specifically - is the RAM moving just in the socket or is the entire socket moving/tilting side to side on the motherboard?

If the first, then examine the RAM sockets to ensure that there is no debris inside preventing the RAM stick from fully seating down and into place.

If the second, then the RAM slot itself may be broken in some manner - poor solder joints.

Are you able to see the underside of the motherboard?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
When you "wag" the RAM sticks use a bright flashlight to identify what is moving:

Specifically - is the RAM moving just in the socket or is the entire socket moving/tilting side to side on the motherboard?

If the first, then examine the RAM sockets to ensure that there is no debris inside preventing the RAM stick from fully seating down and into place.

If the second, then the RAM slot itself may be broken in some manner - poor solder joints.

Are you able to see the underside of the motherboard?
Im able to see the under side, yes

Ralston18

Titan
On the underside do you see rows of solder dots that correspond to the RAM sockets on the upperside?

Any cracks, wires sticking through, movement when you gently wag the RAM slot? Use a magnify glass and keep the area well lit.

Also (an afterthought): examine the RAM sticks teeth with a magnifying glass. Look for signs of damage: cracks, scratches, corrosion, etc..

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
On the underside do you see rows of solder dots that correspond to the RAM sockets on the upperside?

Any cracks, wires sticking through, movement when you gently wag the RAM slot? Use a magnify glass and keep the area well lit.

Also (an afterthought): examine the RAM sticks teeth with a magnifying glass. Look for signs of damage: cracks, scratches, corrosion, etc..
I dont have a magnify glass

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Take a look anyway and just trust your eyes for the time being.
View: https://imgur.com/a/OZY1qTG

Here is a part of the back of the motherboard and the ram sticks. I even added a stick that was supossed to be broken but all 3 worked fine at memtest. I cleaned the sockets by adding alcohol 96 to one stick and inserting it and pulling it out some times.
After a restart, it wouldnt boot...
I have to still move the "ram" or something around there. I also tried moving the usb3 connector to the motherboard and it also made the pc boot.

Ralston18

Titan
Seems to be narrowing down to a loose connection/contact inside one of the memory slots.

However if moving the usb3 connector allows the system to boot then there could be a short involved.

How much movement is involved with respect to the usb3 connector?

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Seems to be narrowing down to a loose connection/contact inside one of the memory slots.

However if moving the usb3 connector allows the system to boot then there could be a short involved.

How much movement is involved with respect to the usb3 connector?
I unplugged it so it would be easier to put the ram back it. I turned the pc on and it wouldnt post. I remembered I forgot about the usb 3 cable, so I plugged it back in and got sure it all the way in by moving it a liiiittle side to side.

Ralston18

Titan
Swap in another known working USB cable or add an extension cable to the existing USB cable.

The objective being to obtain a tighter or different connection fit between USB plug and motherboard USB port(s).

A connection that will not wiggle or shift.

patrickfeeney

Prominent
Sep 3, 2020
Swap in another known working USB cable or add an extension cable to the existing USB cable.

The objective being to obtain a tighter or different connection fit between USB plug and motherboard USB port(s).

A connection that will not wiggle or shift.
The connection I'm talking about isnt the bottom "normal" USB connectors. Im talking about the USB 3.0 connector that is located very near to the ram and has the shape of a hdmi.